Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 04:42 PM

Re: Assisted dying

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
According to the matron I did a good job for the nine months I was training as an SRN. I don't think I killed anyone.
You mean like tough love
I bet when they were all discharged they could claim to have found and tapped into new hidden reserves of inner strength they never knew they possessed.
Very few nurses have the knack of helping their patients tap directly into their instinct for survival and fight their way back to good health.
I am teasing you here and imagining more the kind of nurse my sister would have made rather than you.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 04:45 PM

Watching my grand parents die I know my nan wanted to fight on right to her last breath and I sat by her no matter how bad it got, my grandad was different he wanted to go, wanted a good five years before he actually died go go and be with his lil, he couldn't commit suicide as by that time he was bedridden and couldn't access medications etc.

It made me realise we can't have one rule suits all it has to be voluntary and decided only by that person.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You mean like tough love
I bet when they were all discharged they could claim to have found and tapped into new hidden reserves of inner strength they never knew they possessed.
Very few nurses have the knack of helping their patients tap directly into their instinct for survival and fight their way back to good health.
I am teasing you here and imagining more the kind of nurse my sister would have made rather than you.
It was jolly hard work and you had to grovel to the staff who were senior to you!

Still having had that experience it came in useful when my husband had his brain haemorrhage in 2006, leaving him with the left side of his brain trashed. I was able to ask the medics the right questions about his condition and the outcome etc. He was in a coma for a number of weeks and paralysed down his right side for a while. It is only due to his high intelligence he done better than expected in trying to put back that which he has lost. However, I still maintain it would have been kinder if he had died as he can't do any academic work anymore, which really upsets him as that was his life.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Question, what would you have done in my case?

My late father was 16 stone but in the last three days before he passed away with cancer he was so weak and thin. To give some idea his skin just hung down off his bones which could be easily seen. He didn't even have the strength to open his mouth properly or his eyes.

I dearly wanted to put a cushion over his head to finish the terrible state he was in. If I had I would now be a murderer, so had to let him suffer.

What would you have done?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

My late father was 16 stone but in the last three days before he passed away with cancer he was so weak and thin. To give some idea his skin just hung down off his bones which could be easily seen. He didn't even have the strength to open his mouth properly or his eyes.

I dearly wanted to put a cushion over his head to finish the terrible state he was in. If I had I would now be a murderer, so had to let him suffer.

When my father was dying of prostate cancer, and in great pain, my siblings and I insisted the medics upped his meds so he was out of pain, even though we knew the dose would kill him, which it did within a few hours, I believe, not that I was there in person.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 06:15 PM

I don't know realspeed, heartbreaking to read about your father's final days. My friend recently lost her partner who was just four stone something when he died from throat cancer. It must be a blessed relief when they take their final breath.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

08-02-2018, 06:30 PM

I suspect many people are tempted to relieve their relative's one's suffering, who can blame them if they use a pillow or cushion to speed them on their way in those distressing circumstances?
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I suspect many people are tempted to relieve their relative's one's suffering, who can blame them if they use a pillow or cushion to speed them on their way in those distressing circumstances?
I'm not sure I could do that no matter how distressing the circumstances.

My husband has been close to death and recovered as has your husband tarantula.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 06:44 PM

When a person gets as poorly as my dad did then yes it would have been kinder for a DR to end his life. This is when assisted dying should be allowed.
The problem is those evil bastards doing it for financial gain, this is why we don't have a law on it now

I did hear on the family grape vine that my grandad, I never knew him, was ill and the Dr was called
So I was lead to believe the Dr left medicine beside the bed with no instruction not to give the whole lot at once. How true that is I don't know but the implication is obvious
Leia
UK

08-02-2018, 06:49 PM

When a person gets as poorly as my dad did then yes it would have been kinder for a DR to end his life. This is when assisted dying should be allowed.
The problem is those evil bastards doing it for financial gain, this is why we don't have a law on it now
I agree, it must be left to doctors to assist the terminally ill. I know I couldn't end a person's life.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top