Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Re: Church

That's a lovely story Mups and so glad you found a path that gives you so much peace. I was wondering whether your mum was ok in the end. Did it help her too?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, that is what I found too, Susan.
There is no bible, no written sermons, any talking just comes from their heart and through their own experiences - not copied words written by someone else entirely.
Is it a bit like the Qakers? I have been curious about them.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:15 AM

My mum and dad were both atheists, so church was pretty irrelevant to us kids until we joined the cubs/brownies and were occasionally asked to attend Church Parade - I remember carrying our 4th Slough standard down the aisle feeling very proud but without any interest in religion or the role of the church in it. The cub leader encouraged us to go to Sunday School and that pretty much finished any personal (as opposed to academic) interest I had in religion. I remember as cubs we had to promise to "do our duty to God and the Queen" - whatever that was! Major indoctrination failure as far as I was concerned.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's a lovely story Mups and so glad you found a path that gives you so much peace. I was wondering whether your mum was ok in the end. Did it help her too?

She did gradually improve and accept things more, thank you Annie. But some time later she lost her dog and that nearly tipped her over the edge again.

She didn't feel well one December, and I took her to her doctor who diagnosed flu.
I disputed this, but the doc was adamant.

These peculiar bouts of illness got worse and in the end she was sent for various tests, and the diagnosis was Multiple Myeloma, a form of cancer.
7 years I looked after her until she died three years ago.
She wasn't an easy lady to look after, but I still miss her.
Thank you for asking.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:46 AM

Whether you believe or not, an open mind and tolerance makes a good person in my opinion. Beautiful piece by the way Mups.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Is it a bit like the Qakers? I have been curious about them.

I don't know Annie. I have no idea what the Quakers do.
I believe Julie would know?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:09 AM

I was sent to Sunday school as a young child, but after some time my mother was asked not to send me again as I was "disruptive". I asked too many questions but was never satisfied with the answers so asked even more questions, which again never got satisfactory answers for me. My mother was horrified at being asked not to send me, I was quite happy, I hated going.

I have never been one to believe everything I am told, or everything I read. If the matter interests me enough then I do my own research and form my own conclusions. I have no religion.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:20 AM

Not bloody likely - have been an atheist from an early age !!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-10-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Whether you believe or not, an open mind and tolerance makes a good person in my opinion. Beautiful piece by the way Mups.....

Thank you foxy. x
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Not bloody likely - have been an atheist from an early age !!!
Me too, until I found out the Holidays,... were Crap !

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top