Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Surrogacy.

I caught a bit of a programme this morning. A woman who was having a child by a surrogate mother, had been refused maternity leave by her employer because she was not the birth mother. But the surrogate mother is entitled to maternity leave and was taking it.

Do you think the leave should be transferred over to the mother who will be bringing up the baby?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 05:24 PM

Re: Surrogacy.

That's an odd one yes I would say new mother really should be given maternity leave
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 05:31 PM

It is an odd one. The new mum should be given time to bond with the baby, it is very important that they form a relationship very early on. It must be stressful for both to be separated when the baby is so young.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

25-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Could she not get Statutory Adoption Leave ?
I know next to nothing about the rules but that would seem to me in essence to be the situation.

I would qualify my remarks by stressing it is only a suggestion not a comment on surrogacy.
mesco m
manchester

25-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Apparently the intended parents don't adopt the baby, they are granted a parental order, which hands over the baby to the intended parents. So I would imagine the adoption leave would not apply, but of course I am only guessing.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Dont you have maternity leave to get over the birth, and the child wouldnt know who the mother was would they.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 07:06 PM

That's a new one on me, God help whoever has to sort that one out.
mesco m
manchester

25-09-2012, 07:36 PM

The human race do not make life easy for itself.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

25-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Just a thought, say female A and male B can both produce the constituant parts to produce a baby but were for a medical reason unable to sucessfully carry the fertilised egg full term.
Female C agrees to become the 'host' and duly delivers of the child and hands it to the donors (A+B).

The baby, surely is to all intents and purposes the fruit of A&B, both genetically and any other way really.

It is hard to understand why the new parents cannot be given the same allowances as any other couple.

It is as Jimmy says very difficult to apply the rules, the only way I regret to say would appear to be a points system.

I would hate this to sound flippant and it is not meant to be but there has to be a difference in content, in say one or both donors or perhaps in rare cases even neither.

This yardstick would have to be a factor when determining the entitlement.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Maybe they could do a King Solomon job on it, only instead of slicing the baby in half they halve the maternity leave money between the two Women, how's that for a solution from a commoner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top