Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2012, 10:51 PM

Ageism

Should there be an upper age limit for being an MP.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2012, 02:52 AM

Re: Ageism

Should there be an upper age limit for a driver, or school teacher, or anyone else in any profession?

Age has nothing to do with competence.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2012, 03:22 AM

Anyone can be an MP...you don't have to take a test or get qualifications.
Maybe MP's should take a test...or get a doctors note.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2012, 07:38 AM

Perhaps there should be a higher minimum age.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Perhaps there should be a higher minimum age.
I agree with you Grumblewagon.
I was watching the interviews after the Cameron's speech yesterday and there was one little prat at the side of one of the conservatives being interviewed. He hung on everry word his colleague said and was just nodding furiously at every statement like a little nodding donkey. He looked so very young and I thought how can he even begin to understand the complexities and what he is nodding about when he is straight out of school. It may be ageist, but I believe policicians really do need to have a bit of age, experience and understanding under their belts before being allowed out into the playground of politics.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2012, 10:16 AM

I think it is better for politicians to have a bit of experience of life and that only comes with age.

Maybe an age limit of 90 by which time it could be argued everyone needs a rest
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2012, 10:40 AM

Grumblewagon you have a good point there, a young ambitious Politician is more likely to be thinking about a big future for himself and will go along with anything to achieve this in the shortest possible time, as Rena says the nodding donkey types, they can become very dangerous when they get real power, I've seen it over here. 30 might be a reasonable limit, the more experience you have in life the more understanding you have of how things work.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 08:07 PM

I would say 50, by then you have learnt most things, there should also be a probation time of 2years if you are not getting it then kindly leave w
Westminster.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Age has nothing to do with competence.
Agreed.

I once read the comment that anyone truly capable of running the country is too smart to get into politics.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Surely though before someone becomes competent at something, particularly in the minefield which is politics, you first have to learn and undertand the subject in depth, watch and then get some practical experience. These things naturally take time, so I think age (or lack of it) will play a significant part in what credence people give to a person's efforts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top