Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Re: Academics

I think that both nature and nurture matter Sarah.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 10:50 PM

I agree Barry, chance has played a huge part in my life, mum and my father being bombed out, my father killed and my mum marrying my dad, it changed my life more than a U turn.
It goes on all through my life, I have gambled at times and it has paid off.
So yes chance and luck has played a huge part.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 07:43 AM

My mother had the belief that 'What's for you won't go by you' - in other words, your life was mapped out for you. She used to talk about people having 'bad luck' or things just being 'God's way'.

I disagreed totally - I suggested to her that life had a whole series of random and unpredictable events. These were nothing to do with a 'god' and 'luck' was really down to your response to these events.
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 12:23 AM

Thank you for your answers.

I feel that nature, our parents, background, play
one part and then nurture, the way we were brought
up i.e our family, friends we met and the schooling etc
were a good part.

Then, however, theres the twists and turns, the fork
in the road, otherwords the decisions we make are
all a factor.

Its difficult, I suppose there are no real true answers,
just our own opinions and experiences.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 04:19 PM

My only real regret is my career path which I believe could have been different. I was going to go through music college doing the violin when I realised that I would not make any sort of living at it unless I taught as well which I didn't want to do. My parents were fine with it all but then channeled me into an office job either the Civil Service or the Bank. What I should have done was to ask them to put me through Veterinary College as I love animals. I've done OK with working as never been out of a job and always had quite good salaries but it hasn't been what I realy wanted to do. Such is life. Now retirement beckons so only a few more months of working for me.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Life is what YOU make it.

As a kid I loved to learn about different things and how they worked so I would pull them apart to find out what made them tick.

I loved sports and wanted to take part in all of them and did so where I could.

I liked making new friends and took any opportunity to talk with other kids whenever I met them.

Yes, you make your life when you take the chance to do something, I do not think Academics enters into it a lot.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Life is what YOU make it.

As a kid I loved to learn about different things and how they worked so I would pull them apart to find out what made them tick.

I loved sports and wanted to take part in all of them and did so where I could.

I liked making new friends and took any opportunity to talk with other kids whenever I met them.

Yes, you make your life when you take the chance to do something, I do not think Academics enters into it a lot.
I also deconstructed many everyday items, to see what made them work, unfortunately I was never any good at reconstruction.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I think chance plays the greater part in deciding your path through life, from the accident of your birth through to the accident of your inherent nature, to the accident of life's coincidences.

I was the youngest of three children born to working class parents, who taught us to read and write before we had started at school and encouraged us all to do the best we could at school. Two of us had the good fortune to pass the 11+ and went to the local grammar, but unfortunately I wasn't academically minded, all I wanted to do was make things rather than study, so I left school at 15 without taking exams. I then spent my whole working life doing things and building things, and I wouldn't have changed a thing. My sister, on the other hand, was academic and proceeded to do very well with her education and her life in high level commerce. My brother who didn't pass his 11+ also has had a fulfilling life in the haulage industry and has done very well for himself by his own efforts.

So you see three siblings, all with separate paths through life using what they were accidentally born with and the twists and turns of providence, and three happy endings to very diverse life journeys.

So I guess we've all been very lucky in our own way, and the biggest piece of luck was being born to parents who, although quite poor, loved us dearly, guided us as best they could and encouraged us to be the best we could be.

How lucky is that....
very and ypu couldn't have wished for more.
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2012, 01:38 AM

Thanks Hazel and everyone else for your interesting replies.

Its quite a big subject really and I havent decided what really
decided my path in life, just a mixture of a lot of things really.
But am not sure if I had made different decisions whether it
would have come out different!! Im confusing myself now!!

sarah
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2012, 06:01 AM

How many of us decide what we want out of life and make a bee-line for it - not many I imagine. Most of us just make decisions when the opportunity arises. I finished up lecturing in mathematics for 23 years simply because I'd had enough of working in the coal mines.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top