Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2012, 03:24 PM

Archishop of Canterbury.

So the C of E have appointed Bishop Welby the Bishop of Durham to be the new Arch-bishop, notwithstanding he is 'new' to his previous post, only becoming a bishop in November last year. As One of the other candidates was the Arch Bishop of York, a person who would, had he been 'white', have to greater extent 'automatically' succeeded to the post, I wonder if the 'church' may have been guilty of racism???
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2012, 04:02 PM

Re: Archishop of Canterbury.

UJ I think some of the old guard may feel a little miffed at being passed over .
A bit surprised myself that there has been no mention of Sentamu...

Apparently they have opted for business acumen, that just about sums up the Cof E for me.
I left that club a long while ago so only have a vague passing interest in what they do.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
UJ I think some of the old guard may feel a little miffed at being passed over .
A bit surprised myself that there has been no mention of Sentamu...

I left that club a long while ago so only have a vague passing interest in what they do.
Me too Meg darlin' but don't forget, the Bishops have a seat in the House of Lords and therefore have a say in whatever legislation is brought forward to regulate the rest of us. This Bishop Welby is, politically, opposed to homosexual 'marriage' in the church, and as Arch-Bishop of Canterbury and therefore head of the Protestant church with over 100 million people, his views will carry a lot of 'weight' with many others.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Well good for him then,the church is no place for homosexuals to marry,if must be then the Registry Office is the right place.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

08-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Well good for him then,the church is no place for homosexuals to marry,if must be then the Registry Office is the right place.
Annie darlin' that policy is in direct opposition to a person's Human Rights as enshrined by the Human Rights Act 1999 which in turn was an incorporation of the European Court of Human Rights convention. If the 'church' persists with such policy, inevitably someone will object and the church will then be on the opposite side of the fence to the 'State' which is enpowered to protect those Human Rights. At which point, the 'church' could be disestablished.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Maybe so, but its my believeing that it is against the teaching of Christ, its not the idea at all one man one woman and that is it. I dont go to church now but believe in God.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

08-11-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Maybe so, but its my believeing that it is against the teaching of Christ, its not the idea at all one man one woman and that is it. I dont go to church now but believe in God.
You are entitled to believe as you choose Annie darlin' but the 'church' is obliged to follow the laws of the land and those laws have incorporated the 'Equality' law. Whilst the Government is not currently forcing the issue, at some point, someone with 'deep pockets' will and the church will be obliged to conform.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
UJ
Apparently they have opted for business acumen, that just about sums up the Cof E for me.
I think that's all the church has ever been Meg, you don't get to be one of the wealthiest organisations in the world without business acumen (oh, and a silly hat)...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2012, 08:40 PM

There's something fishy there alright Joe.
Come to think of it I could have been Pope by now, I started at the very bottom of the church ladder as an alter boy and stayed there for five years without a promotion, eventually I packed it in as I was beginning to look silly in the short white blouse and the red frock sporting a moustache and smoking a cheroot on the alter steps, had I been black I would have had my own parish in Africa by then, still I learned that not all men are equal in the eyes of the church.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
There's something fishy there alright Joe.
Come to think of it I could have been Pope by now, I started at the very bottom of the church ladder as an alter boy and stayed there for five years without a promotion, eventually I packed it in as I was beginning to look silly in the short white blouse and the red frock sporting a moustache and smoking a cheroot on the alter steps, had I been black I would have had my own parish in Africa by then, still I learned that not all men are equal in the eyes of the church.

It does sound like a job for ex Eton students.

Arfa

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top