Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 11:53 PM

Women Bishops

Should modern gender equality prevail and allow for women bishops, or should the literal text of the Bible withstand, and a bloke only bishop environment be sustained.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 12:18 AM

Re: Women Bishops

They would certainly look much better in the frock.

I did like the 'chicks with dicks' symbol they created.

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 06:10 AM

Seeing as how the scriptures were written BY MEN some 2000 years ago when things were very different, it is of no importance to keep to the literal translation of the bible. Instead the Church should be setting the lead in giving women equal rights to men.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 07:42 AM

Totally agree Alan. Add to that the number of translations from language to language.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 08:49 AM

As a (totally lapsed) Presbyterian, we had women ministers before the Cof E, but we don't have any bishops. However, I feel the the job should go to the best suited person, irrespective of gender.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 10:15 AM

I'm just bemused that the Church can make that distinction and still discriminate on the grounds of gender...
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 11:08 AM

I am not religious so dont have much to say about it. I will say though that as a woman I dont see why women who are qualified enough to be a Bishop cant be one. Seems silly to me saying women should have equal rights and not in religion.
They have a limited amount of church goers nowadays so I suggest all the women who go to church miss it for a month and see if the men in charge change their minds about it all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I am not religious so dont have much to say about it. I will say though that as a woman I dont see why women who are qualified enough to be a Bishop cant be one. Seems silly to me saying women should have equal rights and not in religion.
They have a limited amount of church goers nowadays so I suggest all the women who go to church miss it for a month and see if the men in charge change their minds about it all.
Just what I would have said...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 02:00 PM

I thought it was against the law to discriminate but is the church above that? The men are probably frightened that women Bishops will make a better job of it
Caedmon
Hull, England
Caedmon is male  Caedmon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Women bishops and gay bishops are inevitable in time. Once the furore settles down the legislation will be passed and everyone will wonder what the fuss was all about.

Regarding the scriptures being written in many languages and translated/mistranslated etc - it ought to be noted that the original scripture (word of God) was written in Hebrew and never altered - there is an English translation of course - to those scriptures (the Five Books of Moses) were added the writings and the prophets - comprising the Tanakh (so-called Old Testament) - the 2000 year old (so called) New testament is a Greek addition that has no real authority except that it suited the Roman Church's intention to remove the Jewishness of 'Jesus'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top