Join for free
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Make your choice

Cancer or Alzheimer's?

Just listening to this on BBC news.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Re: Make your choice

Not sure if it is the right forum.

I get frustrated at hearing stuff like this on the news before it is fully researched. It's akin to confusing messages about what we should eat - ie this is good, that is bad, then a couple of months later the opposite is true.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2009, 10:45 AM

I don't regard it as any compensation tha Alzheimers's apparently confers some protection against cancer. Great - you're liable to live longer in a state of fear and confusion and your family can have even more time to grieve your living death
I always said, and still maintain, that at least cancer gives you a fighting chance of cure or living long enough to die of something else, and if you aren't one of the lucky ones, at least it has the good grace to allow you to exit the world.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2009, 11:21 AM

Alzheimer's disease and cancer are both characterised by abnormal, but opposing, cellular behaviour.

"In Alzheimer's disease, excessive cell death occurs, whereas cancer is characterised by excessive cell growth
I guess that some of us are predisposed by our genetic makeup to get one disease or the other (or neither) particularly if you add a 'trigger' (eg cigarette smoke for cancer in some people, this is why others smoke all their lives and never get cancer).

We know from the outbreak of the human form of BSE that certain 'types' of people were more likely to go on to develop this condition.

So to reiterate I would say your genetic make up may predispose you to one condition or another and in the case of some cancers you may be able to prevent the condition developing by avoiding certain things .

It wouldn't help the perpetuation of the species if we were all genetically predisposed to the same condition, the variations will ensure we don't all pass on and die of the same thing
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
Not sure if it is the right forum.

I get frustrated at hearing stuff like this on the news before it is fully researched. It's akin to confusing messages about what we should eat - ie this is good, that is bad, then a couple of months later the opposite is true.
I'm sure there is some master plan to try to keep us all frightened out of our wits. Every day there is something different.... I give you swine and bird flu.Then of course we have the good old standby, global warming !!!

I don't take notice of anything anymore,

Hail the New World Order ,,,,, Not
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2009, 03:42 AM

I definitely think we need more research. There are bound to be triggers for such things, what if it was as simple as something as cookware choice? Aluminium is often linked to Alzheimer's for example - could steel or iron be linked to cancer?

Of course things don't ever seem that simple - but what if there were simple links that are just staring us in the face...
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2009, 12:56 PM

I listened to this yesterday too, . . what load of BS, . . this is the work of statisticians again, . . when those clowns get a pen and paper and some data from wherever they go crazy.

The survey only involved 3000 people, how on earth can they come to the conclusion they have come to.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I guess that some of us are predisposed by our genetic makeup to get one disease or the other (or neither) particularly if you add a 'trigger' (eg cigarette smoke for cancer in some people, this is why others smoke all their lives and never get cancer).

We know from the outbreak of the human form of BSE that certain 'types' of people were more likely to go on to develop this condition.

So to reiterate I would say your genetic make up may predispose you to one condition or another and in the case of some cancers you may be able to prevent the condition developing by avoiding certain things .

It wouldn't help the perpetuation of the species if we were all genetically predisposed to the same condition, the variations will ensure we don't all pass on and die of the same thing
Excellent post; I agree. Coming from long-lived stock doesn't hurt either.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top