Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Re: I just can't do it without counting calories

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I don't count calories anymore either. And it shows. If I don't stay accountable for the things I eat, I get careless. And really, at my age, I don't know why I should even care. I mean, come on, let's face it... it's not like I'm going to be sought after by a man or anything, lol.
I also have to stay accountable for the things I eat Linda. If I don't watch what I eat the pounds creep on and I have a sweet tooth. Also I am only 5ft. 1in. so if I eat or indulge too much the pounds creep on and they do show so easily. I do not seem to be able to eat as much as other people and I don't have an exercise routine as such (cant bear the thought of the gym), although I do walk a bit and my dog keeps me active.

I think no matter what age we are we should care. I will be doing this for myself, not any man. I don't expect to turn into a man magnet, but I do want to look nice and feel fit. At the moment my body is telling me loud and clear that I am too fat so I am having a go at sorting myself out. Any advice would be welcome.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 02:08 PM

Ive not done SW but I know people who have done

One guy I know is going at the moment. He's lost 6 stone in the past year so it does work

But I also know of people who have to keep joining as once they hit target weight and leave, the old habits sneak back
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Ive not done SW but I know people who have done

One guy I know is going at the moment. He's lost 6 stone in the past year so it does work

But I also know of people who have to keep joining as once they hit target weight and leave, the old habits sneak back
Thanks Missy. That's the trouble, I think - old habits sneak back in. Slimming World costs £5 a week (a bit less for o.a.p's) and it can mount up after a while. They do offer quite a bit of support though and you also get some literature to help and, of course, you have full access to their website once you have enrolled (as long as you stay enrolled). I just find it hard to believe I can forget about the calories. Seems too good to be true.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 02:15 PM

I have kept off the stone in weight I lost last summer in spite of eating more/exercising less through the winter .

I am just going to start a 'losing' rather than 'maintenance' strategy in order to reach my goal of a BMI lower than 25 in order to comply with a study done in Australia that suggested doing so may halt the progression of my heart condition. This just means eating a bit less and I will be doing more exercise gardening through the summer . Weight loss is slow but steady, it will be about a lb every couple of weeks as it was last year.

I guess I roughly count calories in that I aim not to exceed 1700 a day, I have a fair idea of my calorie intake for each meal but don't strictly monitor it.

My main criteria are; eat food which is as fresh as possible with a minimum of additives/keep portions small/have as big a variety of vegetables and fruits as possible/ eat a handful of nuts every day.
I moved my main meal to lunchtime so I am not sitting around after eating.

I have family members who belong to Weight Watchers and Slimming World and they always put back any weight they lose plus a bit more.
I don't think diets are a good idea, the way to lose weight and maintain the loss requires a permanent change in lifestyle.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

30-04-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I guess I roughly count calories in that I aim not to exceed 1700 a day, I have a fair idea of my calorie intake for each meal but don't strictly monitor it.

My main criteria are; eat food which is as fresh as possible with a minimum of additives/keep portions small/have as big a variety of vegetables and fruits as possible/ eat a handful of nuts every day.
I moved my main meal to lunchtime so I am not sitting around after eating.

I have family members who belong to Weight Watchers and Slimming World and they always put back any weight they lose plus a bit more.
I don't think diets are a good idea, the way to lose weight and maintain the loss requires a permanent change in lifestyle.
I don't think I would lose weight on 1700kcal a day Meg and I feel I do have to be quite strict with myself. I love fruit and veg and I do eat plenty, but I also like the sauces and other things which are not so good. Training me into a permanent change in lifestyle might be quite a challenge, but I'm going to have a go before I get too old. I must admit I find dieting and/or restricting what I eat quite difficult. Years of cooking for others and now the grandchildren I suppose. They always expect a few treats when they come round and I always have stuff in for them.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I also have to stay accountable for the things I eat Linda. If I don't watch what I eat the pounds creep on and I have a sweet tooth. Also I am only 5ft. 1in. so if I eat or indulge too much the pounds creep on and they do show so easily. I do not seem to be able to eat as much as other people and I don't have an exercise routine as such (cant bear the thought of the gym), although I do walk a bit and my dog keeps me active.

I think no matter what age we are we should care. I will be doing this for myself, not any man. I don't expect to turn into a man magnet, but I do want to look nice and feel fit. At the moment my body is telling me loud and clear that I am too fat so I am having a go at sorting myself out. Any advice would be welcome.
Well, I was kind of joking when I said I wouldn't be sought after by a man because, in all honesty, I don't care if I am or not. Those days are behind me. I'm in my early 50's and once I hit menopause, my desires completely disappeared.

I know I need to do it for my health. And I do my best to eat sensibly. But I don't really worry about my weight anymore. I'm not obese, by any stretch, but I could probably lose at least 30 pounds. I managed to lose close to 20, then got careless again. When I stopped counting calories, that's when the weight came back. And, to be honest, I'm tired of counting calories.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

30-04-2018, 04:26 PM

I am in my 70's Linda and the menopause days are long gone for me. I went onto HRT and when I came off it was over.
I hope I didn't offend you.
Have you ever tried any other ways of losing weight? I have always counted calories and find it difficult to change. Like many people I am a bit of an emotional/comfort eater on occasions. I'm not sure how I will get on with Slimming World - they don't count calories (or at least they say not). Along with the fresh foods they seem to promote a lot of pre-packaged ready meals, which I am not used to using.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 04:31 PM

I know someone who is doing really well at Slimming World, and loves it.
I, on the other hand, have tried it twice, and can't get the hang of it at all.
It seems overly complicated to me.

It must just be me though, as they do seem to have a very good success rate.
I am back on my 5:2 again now. If I do it properly and don't get fed up, it really does work - for me anyway.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 04:45 PM

Hi

I have been on steroids again.

I can lose 3lb a week eating sensibly 6 days, Sunday is my day off.

I love Sunday lunch.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have been on steroids again.

I can lose 3lb a week eating sensibly 6 days, Sunday is my day off.

I love Sunday lunch.

That's another thing I like about the 5:2, it is so flexible.

You don't have to do 5:2, you can do 4:3 or what you're doing Swim - 6:1.

I suppose it depends on how quickly you want to get the weight off.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top