Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 05:33 AM

Re: Omron Blood Pressure Checks

Minx, don't get hung up on it.

When you wake in the morning your blood pressure will be in your boots.

After you've had a cup of tea, then it will start to rise and will go up and down as your day progresses.

If you are concerned, take your blood pressure three times a day, consistently for a week and take the mean average.

High or low blood pressure will be become apparent and can be dealt with accordingly.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
As most of you seem to be taking your BP three times, how long an interval do you leave it between each test?

I ask, because from memory, the instructions with my old one said to said much like RightNow said above.
Sit quietly for a few minutes first. Feet on floor, don't chat, and then inflate the cuff.
If you want to re-take it, leave at least 5 minutes intervals between checks.
Mr P takes as much time as a sip of tea takes between checks. I have suggested he wait a bit longer until it settles, but if the first reading is too high, he worries and has to do it again straight away. I would wait a few minutes between the checking if it were me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Mr P takes as much time as a sip of tea takes between checks. I have suggested he wait a bit longer until it settles, but if the first reading is too high, he worries and has to do it again straight away. I would wait a few minutes between the checking if it were me.

Quite right, Pixie.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 01:59 PM

After having a heart attack some twelve years' ago I regularly take my blood pressure at home using an Omron device. I do this mainly to keep a regular check as the heart attack was possibly caused by undiagnosed high blood pressure, over a number of years.

I've found this website invaluable for matters to do with heart problems. Lots of information on there and I reckon well worth having a look at:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...essure-at-home
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 04:06 PM

We have an Omron machine too. This is what our old GP Practise Nurse told us to do when using it:

1. Do not take your BP for at least 1 hour after drinking caffeinated drinks.
2. Do not take your BP for at least ˝hr after smoking a ciggie or vaping.
3. Do not take your BP for at least ˝hr (pref. 1hr) after exercise.
4. Take 2 readings and record the lowest of the 2. According to bloodpressureuk.org the systolic reading (the top reading on an Omron) is the more important. A systolic reading between 100 and 120 is fine.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
We have an Omron machine too. This is what our old GP Practise Nurse told us to do when using it:

1. Do not take your BP for at least 1 hour after drinking caffeinated drinks.
2. Do not take your BP for at least ˝hr after smoking a ciggie or vaping.
3. Do not take your BP for at least ˝hr (pref. 1hr) after exercise.
4. Take 2 readings and record the lowest of the 2. According to bloodpressureuk.org the systolic reading (the top reading on an Omron) is the more important. A systolic reading between 100 and 120 is fine.

Percy, while I would agree the above reading is good, I seem to remember there is more leaway for us as we get older.
I thought it was acceptable for us to have a systolic reading of up to 140 as we age, but I checked to make sure before I posted.

This is from the British Heart Foundation website.

* What is a healthy or normal blood pressure?

Your blood pressure should be under 140/90 mmHg.

Low

Systolic: lower than 90 mmHg
Diastolic: lower than 60 mmHg

Find out more about low blood pressure.

Normal

Systolic: lower than 140 mmHg
Diastolic: lower than 90 mmHg

Possible hypertension

Systolic: between 140 and 180 mmHg
Diastolic: between 90 and 110 mmHg

Further checks such as home monitoring or ABPM would normally be needed to make a diagnosis of hypertension.

Severe hypertension

Systolic: higher than 180 mmHg
Diastolic: higher than 110 mmHg

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...ssure#Heading7
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 08:46 PM

Percy, while I would agree the above reading is good, I seem to remember there is more leaway for us as we get older.
I thought it was acceptable for us to have a systolic reading of up to 140 as we age, but I checked to make sure before I posted.

* What is a healthy or normal blood pressure?

Your blood pressure should be under 140/90 mmHg.

Low

Systolic: lower than 90 mmHg
Diastolic: lower than 60 mmHg

Find out more about low blood pressure.

Normal

Possible hypertension

Further checks such as home monitoring or ABPM would normally be needed to make a diagnosis of hypertension.

Severe hypertension

Systolic: higher than 180 mmHg
Diastolic: higher than 110 mmHg

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...ssure#Heading7
Very useful info, Mups.

Now just have to find a way to update my file, at my local Medic Centre, so that I can put in the data without having to go through the phone fiasco.

In order to get my repeat prescription authorised I had to set up a Blood Test & a Blood Pressure Test, both at separate sites and let the Busy Doctor know the readings.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-04-2021, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Very useful info, Mups.

Now just have to find a way to update my file, at my local Medic Centre, so that I can put in the data without having to go through the phone fiasco.

In order to get my repeat prescription authorised I had to set up a Blood Test & a Blood Pressure Test, both at separate sites and let the Busy Doctor know the readings.

Thanks Ted.
It's worth knowing we haven't got to panic if the syst. is over 120 for us oldies.
Good luck with yours.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I do mine three times. The first reading is usually elevated because of the stress caused by trying to put the bleedin cuff on. I take the less severe (usually 3rd reading) because by that time, I'm more relaxed.
That made me laugh. I don't often take my pressure as it's not my monitor but when I do the cuff thing is so annoying when it isn't secured properly or accidentally upside down.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 04:24 PM

Percy, while I would agree the above reading is good, I seem to remember there is more leeway for us as we get older.

Normal

Possible hypertension

Thanks Mups. I didn't know about the leeway as we get older but my BP is in the normal range thanks to medicinal help. It looks like I'll have to carry on badgering V, though, to talk to our GP about her BP level.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top