Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Steve MacLellan
New Member!
Nova Scotia, Canada
Steve MacLellan is male 

10-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Re: what have we learnt about life so far?

I've learned a lot, but mostly realized how little I really know.
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 12:40 PM

“The old order changeth, yielding place to new,
And God fulfils himself in many ways,
Lest one good custom should corrupt the world."

From "Morte D'Arthur"

Alfred Tennyson, 1809-1892
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Just a Lady ->
Hello, I'm new and I just want to discuss how we in the fifties feel about getting here, how our attitudes in life have changed or been modified...discussion welcome
The journey getting here, I'm in my early sixties, has been mostly a happy one. I didn't enjoy my childhood but won't go into details. But my life with my husband and children has been a happy life, not without the ups and downs that most of us will have encountered. The pace of life now is at break neck speed but I carry on at a more sedate pace and just take each day as it comes.
I have no regrets about my journey.

I know I am more tolerant than I once was although more grumpy sometimes I still hold to the principles that I have always had.
And I find the world around me a more violent and unforgiving place.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 06:33 PM

I think this is a very broad subject Tuki and is producing interesting replies, so many things change when we get older so I'll stick to one for now. One thing that changed me for the better is the fact that I don't argue with people anymore, I just don't see the point of it, in my younger days I loved a good argument and always tried to out talk others whether I was right or wrong just for the sake of winning. some people carry that on to later years but I try to avoid arguing at all costs. Having been around a long time and hearing countless arguments in pubs, at committee meetings, trade union meetings, etc. I'm fed up with it, and much that it's part of human nature, I don't want any part of it anymore, I quit.
The wife and me have the odd argument now and then, but she wins them all...because I don't bother to participate. When she's in full flight and starting to change colour I smile and say to her, "Yes dear, you are right as always, who am I to disagree with your wisdom." This has a temporarily stun effect and for a second she forgets what she was shouting about and shut down begins, it always works for me.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 07:51 PM

I've found that you tend to get out of life what you put in to it, and it's down to you what you put in to it....
Just a Lady
New Member!
England, UK
Just a Lady is female 

10-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Well, that was most interesting, thank you all, and for the welcome. You know,mesco, have to agree that the pace has steadied somewhat, not the madcap I used to be! Aerolor, am with you here, the core attitude to life has not changed, still optimistic and Shirley, true, the body has turned a bit slower--not much though, has it? Maever-ick, love Tennyson, love that quote...
Just a Lady
New Member!
England, UK
Just a Lady is female 

10-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Janela, that's a question that made me think hard---not a project but can easily become one! Again, thanks very much for the response everyone, and the welcome.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2012, 06:30 PM

I've learned don't trust anyone. I use to believe all I was told as I didn't see any point in telling lies but that's not the case.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
I've learned don't trust anyone. I use to believe all I was told as I didn't see any point in telling lies but that's not the case.
Gabi I also learnt the hard way that not everyone can be trusted and others do not hold the same principles as myself .

However, that does not mean I now distrusts everyone , on the contrary I give people the benefit of the doubt until I find otherwise which is how I would wish to be treated myself .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
That's quite sad really Gabi, you must have had some pretty bad experiences to make you feel that way. Much like Meg, personally I like to give people that I don't know the benefit of the doubt, although I'm not that naive that I trust all strangers unconditionally....

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top