Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:22 PM

Re: Income

When my husnaband was self employed he paid far less tax than as a payg worker on same wages.

There were so many things he could claim money back on it was great.

The only thing was not good was how they treated Christmas tips as they assume everything has a cash value and a home knitted hat or gloves or a homemade cake etc has no real value cash wise. That was always an argument with them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When my husnaband was self employed he paid far less tax than as a payg worker on same wages.

The only thing was not good was how they treated Christmas tips as they assume everything has a cash value and a home knitted hat or gloves or a homemade cake etc has no real value cash wise. That was always an argument with them.
So how did HMRC know about the hats and the cakes? Did he declare them on a self assessment form?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
So how did HMRC know about the hats and the cakes? Did he declare them on a self assessment form?
Because of industry he was in they used to send him a bill for a cash figure to pay tax on usually if I remember right about £5000 it was then up to him to prove he got less. It was then he'd list all the presents he'd got. All milkmen had to do it as very few would have got £5000 in tips.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I wondered that too
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
In a society where folks worry about a wage rise of whatever %, spare a thought for the self employed. Today I got an Email informing me that that I am due to be 2 grand worse off this year than last year, unless I get inventive, cloth will have to be cut.
The sooner you retire the better Spitty, for your peace of mind sake.
My off the cuff guess is they are going after the small man now, grabbing all the cash they can get before there’s nothing left. All the serious smart money went offshore 24 hours after the EC referendum results were announced.
Do a Manuel on them if they pay you a visit, just say “I’m from Barcelona, I know naught thing”
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Sounds like an overclaim of expenses led to an assessment of "private use"!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 10:53 PM

Hi

My Pensions are Government Pensions.

I have three Tax Offices, it is a nightmare.

It took me a year to get my State Pension, I still have one Government Pension not yet paid from 30 odd years ago, when I was transferred from one bit to another for a time.

I still have two ongoing cases after my retirement, I get paid for the time I spend on them, such is the system.

HMRC are trying to classify me as Self Employed now for these payments, yet they are a condition of my retirement.

The entire system is mad.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My Pensions are Government Pensions.

I have three Tax Offices, it is a nightmare.

It took me a year to get my State Pension, I still have one Government Pension not yet paid from 30 odd years ago, when I was transferred from one bit to another for a time.

I still have two ongoing cases after my retirement, I get paid for the time I spend on them, such is the system.

HMRC are trying to classify me as Self Employed now for these payments, yet they are a condition of my retirement.

The entire system is mad.
My past experience of HMRC is that they are more than capable of coping with income from different sources, provided of course they are notified. Pensions cannot be classed as income from self employment, so it seems there is a certain amount of confusion.

An explanatory letter should resolve the issues, or you may
wish to take services of a tax advisor............personally I'd suggest a retired tax inspector.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
My past experience of HMRC is that they are more than capable of coping with income from different sources, provided of course they are notified. Pensions cannot be classed as income from self employment, so it seems there is a certain amount of confusion.

An explanatory letter should resolve the issues, or you may
wish to take services of a tax advisor............personally I'd suggest a retired tax inspector.
Hi

Thanks for the offer.

They have had letters and Emails explaining the situation, to no effect at all.

The problem is that it is important to get these people.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

13-01-2018, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Thanks for the offer.

They have had letters and Emails explaining the situation, to no effect at all.

The problem is that it is important to get these people.
Apologies if I gave the wrong impression, but I wasn't making an offer, just making a suggestion for you to follow up if you wish.

They obviously haven't understood your explanations - hence I suggest you use a retired tax inspector

"The problem is that it is important to get these people"................hmmmm - we'll have to agree to differ on that one! "These people" are just people who work.......perhaps people amongst your neighbours and friends - they don't make the rules, they just try to follow them.................if they don't understand your explanations........get professional advice which they will understand! Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top