Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 05:49 PM

Returning a squirrel to the wild

Anyone know if it's legal to do as title says ? Friend of my husband has been looking after a baby squirrel that is now nearly a year old and fit to go back into the wild. But I'm convinced I read somewhere it's illegal to let them free.

It's a dear little thing, and has been gradually prepared to be ready for release, so it's no longer hand tame and friendly with humans. So could make the leap into the adventure of being a wild creature.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 05:55 PM

Re: Returning a squirrel to the wild

Who is going to know ?
As the police don't seem to worry about investigating real crimes I hardly think they will be tracking released squirrels .
However it's quite a hard time of the year to release one .
It won't have a cache of nuts stored away like other squirrels so may starve
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 05:59 PM

Hi

If it is a Red, all well and good, if it is a Grey, it is vermin and wiill get blasted.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 06:03 PM

Julie, here is the information you need:

http://squirrelaccord.uk/uk-laws.html

I agree with Muddy about not much food about in winter though.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 06:20 PM

Is there a wildlife organization that could give your friend tips and guidance on release.

I also agree with what has been said about winter release.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 06:23 PM

Towards the end of the link I Posted for Julie, it does say:

"The grey squirrel is regarded as an invasive non-native species following its inclusion under Schedule 9 of the WCA. Grey squirrels are also listed in the IUCN international list of 100 worst invasive non-native species. This highlights the damage that grey squirrels cause to our native flora and fauna; a problem severe enough to be recognised at a level of global significance. As such, the grey squirrel is regarded as a pest species and is afforded no protection under the WCA. Under Schedule 9 of the WCA, it is illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild, or allow one to escape".

We had one many years ago. My then husband rescued it from a cat when it was a bably. We had 'Sammy' for a few months, but as he grew he became wilder, not tamer.
In the end he bit my husband right through his thumb and nail.
Legal or not, we took him back to the woods where he came from, and released him. Last we saw of him was him scuttling up a tree, looking ecstatic.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 06:54 PM

If its a Grey cook it, if its a Red contact your local wildlife trust for help you cant just release a creature that has been in captivity it needs to learn to about the wild before being released.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 07:00 PM

The only other option to comply with both the law and the welfare of the animal is to try and place it with some reputable wildlife sanctuary.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 10:32 PM

It's a grey we don't have reds down here. I know technically no one would know but chap has aspergers worse than my husband and tends to blurt out things if he does anything wrong. We didn't want him getting in trouble. Good point about winter release though so I think little grey will be in the conservatory a few more weeks. Thanks all.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 10:34 PM

They should squirrel them away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top