Join for free
Page 123 of 190 « First < 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

A delicious meal last night and a late night catching up with old friends (filling in the gaps since we saw them last) my last post until next year, so Happy New Year to anyone who looks in.
Clear blue sky with a chilly wind as I left Mrs Fox to wander the shops while I went on walkabout.....

The North Marine parade and beach were crowded, kids building sandcastles and dogs retrieving sticks from the sea, but no swimmers or surfers today. The North Bay is a particular favourite with surfers and I was surprised not to see anyone out today. The group of white pyramids in the distance is the 'Sea Life Centre' Worth a visit if you're in the area....'And the animals will love it if you do'.....

We don't want to do too much walking on the flat do we? So with not running today I felt guilty about not doing any work, so I made a smart dash up the hill to the castle. It's also one of the best views of the North Bay, especially at this time of year when all the leaves have fallen off the trees...

Over the top and past the remains of the castle. Scarborough was one of the first seaside resorts in England and a major Tuna fishing centre with record catches reported that have not since been beaten....

Anne Bronte was buried on this spot, I remember when you could read the inscription on the headstone, but like everything else, it has deteriorated over the years (Just like me )
So they have laid a plaque with the inscription.......

And this is what it says........

There is more to Scarborough than beaches and Anne Brontes bones. There are still cobbled streets and rows of fishermans cottages. Wander around the backstreets to discover old Churches, Chapels and Hospitals, the Old Market Hall is a must if you like antiques or sixties music, in my opinion, it's among my top five best seaside resorts......And with plenty of steps to train on it's a runners paradise. It's also on the route of the Cleveland Way. A 110 mile walk that two friends and myself ran over two days back in the nineties....But that story is for another day......Happy New Year.........

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 05:01 PM

What a lovely post Foxy.
I have really enjoyed it.
Lovely pics and the weather looks fine.
I wanted to come and wish you and all your family Happy New Year.
I hope this New Year brings good health and continued happiness.
Sweetie x
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 06:41 PM

Another extraordinary weekend for you, Mrs. Fox, and friends! I love it that you are bringing the new year in with style. As always, the shots and stops are thoroughly enjoyable, and I appreciate your efforts in bringing us along for the ride...or stroll as the case may be .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 09:54 PM

A great way to end the year Bob, I enjoyed looking at your photos. Being right down t'other end of the country it's interesting to see the sights you have up there

A very Happy New Year to you and Mrs Fox ..... looking forwards to reading about your Walk/Run No.1 of 2018
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 10:40 AM

Thanks Sweetie Pie, Surfermom and Mags. And a very happy New Year to you and your loved ones......

After a night of throwing some shapes on the dance floor we eventually laid down our heads at 1:30am. I don't remember much after that until I woke up at six. I was out on the road by six thirty and not a soul in sight. The roads and paths were damp but it was quite mild with just a hint of drizzle, which soon cleared away.

Down through the town and over the bridge, it's a decent climb out of the valley starting with steps and then a gradual climb up a tarmac ramp. Thank God it wasn't a long climb, because my legs had already turned to rubber. Another mile of flat running and I was on the lower flanks of Oliver's Mount, I had soon reached the end of a row of houses with Christmas lights still shining and was now running in almost total darkness, the reflection of the damp road my only guide.

Ten minutes and another mile of stiff climb completed, my pace had dropped to tortoise pace but still I battled against the ever steeper road, just as I thought that I would have to walk, the end came in sight and I heaved a sigh of relief as I turned the corner onto a reasonably level surface.

Another half mile and I passed the radio mast and cafe, it was all downhill from here and my pace reflected that by increasing to supersonic! (well perhaps a little faster) over the main road and down to the sea, with light just breaking and the tide fully out I finished my run with a mixture of soft sand and sea defence. A good start to the year I just need some breakfast now......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-01-2018, 05:20 PM

Dressed for dinner......Sorry about it being blurred.....Mrs Fox had been at the Gin again.......

Speaking of dinner.....This was last nights; Sea Bass on a bed of potatoes and spinach, and a giant prawn gently fried on the top.....It reminded me of something I saw on 'Professional Masterchef' and tasted delicious....

Following dinner the disco started and I don't think Mrs Fox and me sat down for more than five minutes......After completing the compulsory 'Auld Lang Syne' this piper wandered in off the street and really made the night special.......

They have this tradition in Scarborough where on New Years Day everyone dresses up and goes for a swim in the sea......
7 degrees C water temperature.
I decided that after two previous Heart Attacks a dip in the sea would not be conducive to my health.......So I just took some photographs....

The event is very well subscribed to, and all the money goes to charity the RNLI I think. The place was packed with onlookers so a cup of tea and a scone was out of the question, so we retired to the town centre and settled for a ham and cheese toastie from Debenhams......A bit of a comedown from last night meal...This is the view along the seafront being overlooked by the castle on the hill. It's been looking after Scarborough since Norman times......

Loved your photo Surfermom, but I doubt I would try flying down that hill with just some bits of carbon fibre (Is that what they are made of these days?) strapped to each foot.....Running is too precious to risk getting a broken leg for......
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 09:09 PM

You look quite dapper Foxy - I like that word.
Thank-you for the update - I hope you Mrs Foxy are having fun right now.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 04:18 PM

We have polar bear dips here, but I wouldn't so much put a toe in the water this time of year without being attired in seal-thick neoprene, which is far less attractive than formal attire...

Which leads me to commenting that the gentleman in the tuxedo looks very sharp...but is that you? It's hard to tell since the GQ man in the photo is wearing long pants and we certainly only recognize you in shorts .

What a special evening it must have been! It seems that 1,100 miles of running converted into endurance training for one full night of dancing! Well done. I love it that that bagpipper put the icing on the cake, though I would have surely cried. Why do bagpipes always cause that?

Oh, and yes to the carbon skiis, though others are also made of titanium, Kevlar, or reliably dependable wood. As for the degree of my descents, no schussing here, just near-horizontal weaving back and forth like the loading of a bobbin on a sewing machine. As I treat my knees like the Crown Jewels, you should have heard me fussing over the bindings to make sure they released in the event of a fall (which, of course, there was).

Vail is a lovely town in its own right, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience to trade Florida surf for the Colorado Rockies for a short time.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-01-2018, 06:41 PM

Thanks Surfermom and Sweetie Pie, I hope you both had a good New Years Eve...
Before driving home on Tuesday I managed to walk a brisk five miles around Scarborough. The surfers that were absent on Saturday were all present today, they didn't seem to mind the occasional rain shower swept in on a brisk North Westerly......It made for good surf though.....

Here's a couple of Paddle Boarders waiting to hitch a ride on the perfect wave....

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

03-01-2018, 07:49 PM

How lovely Foxy.
I had a lovely Christmas and New Year thank-you.

Page 123 of 190 « First < 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top