Join for free
Page 38 of 95 « First < 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2017, 06:36 PM

Re: What book are you reading now?

Found a book on my shelf I first read about 15 years ago.
It didn't disappoint, brilliant author, terrific story...
The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

10/10
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2017, 07:36 PM

I am currently reading Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado, who is a survivor of the 1972 plane crash.

8/10
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
High brow ? I don't do high brow just started another post apocolyptic series 12 books on this series so should keep me busy for a while, free too so I'm happy.
Well I mentioned that my vice is reading crime thrillers to a friend who is a book snob and heard her snort with derision before regaining her composure.

What's the post-apocalyptic series? Sounds interesting. I love dystopian futuristic sci-fi like the Wool series or divergent. Always on the look out for more.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 11:21 AM

I have 2 new books on my Kindle: 'The Rise of Nazi Germany: The History of the Events that Brought Adolf Hitler to Power', and 'The Art of War'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm attempting to get a solid background with regard to social changes during the 20th century to now. Really I'm starting to delve deeply into the role Jews have played in all this as they have been at the forefront of many of the great intellectual movements of our time (are they still?). Lot of 'stuff' to work through - including their beliefs. Objectivity is the name of the game here obviously.

So much info on the internet though - videos and free books etc should you care to look hard enough.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well I mentioned that my vice is reading crime thrillers to a friend who is a book snob and heard her snort with derision before regaining her composure.

What's the post-apocalyptic series? Sounds interesting. I love dystopian futuristic sci-fi like the Wool series or divergent. Always on the look out for more.
The sixth extinction by glen Johnson it's interesting because it's set in uk not so many set here it's usually USA.

One I've read recently I loved was the dog by Amy cross it's written from the perspective of a family pet. What the poor thing goes through with a sadly happy end.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2017, 12:02 PM

Just finished reading Almonds and Raisins by Maisie Mosco. It's about Jewish immigrants arriving from Russia to Strangeways, Manchester in 1905 and how their lives progress from that time. There are other books in this series which I will now be on the lookout for. A fascinating story.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 09:09 PM

I've now come to the conclusion the world is just one cauldron of corruption where power resides in those with money. Part of this conclusion is that as I can't beat them I may as well try and join them using their own cunning to make some dosh. So from now on I will be reading how to make such dosh from the stock market and so on. Books such as this online freebie:

Complete book in pdf form ...
http://gsi-bookdownload.s3.amazonaws...s6jAwFV3UvE%3D

Lets face it money rules.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 10:11 PM

If you buy gold and silver from the usual dealers, then you are paying premium prices. Same when you sell, you sell at the dealers price offered.
There would have to be a big increase in the value to make a profit.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

21-05-2017, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
If you buy gold and silver from the usual dealers, then you are paying premium prices. Same when you sell, you sell at the dealers price offered.
Indeed - and fascinating it all is. I will be applying myself to unraveling the complexities of it all from here on in .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
My late husband and I bought some second hand gold jewellery at a weekly market because Mum has been burgled and I was looking for replacements.

I seem to have a good eye for quality and we bought a few gold rings (with stones) which have increased in value.

Something to consider

Page 38 of 95 « First < 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top