Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:20 PM

Re: Broadband Suppliers

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks. Just tried that. 82.67Mb/s download, 10.14Mb/s upload.

This is using wifi connection to my router; it would be higher with an ethernet connection, of course, but I find this adequate for my purposes.

Nominally, I am on 150Mb/s with Virgin Media.
Just checked mine..just over 165 Mb/s download and just over 10'on the upload. I will miss the speed when I move.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I have found the same Judd, a long time subscriber, I tried the 'I am leaving because of your 3 increases in 2016' They weren't interested in keeping me, no offer of a reduction, so like you I am moving on.
Some of them do play the "brinkmanship" game, Rehab, which is where they eventually transfer you to the "Terminations" department.

Two of my offspring have received new offers in there (usually the "there is a new offer on trial...." story.)

The third one got his service switched off immediately he put the phone down.

It's a game of chance!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 12:30 PM

A bit like Russian roulette then? Thanks for the heads up
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Some of them do play the "brinkmanship" game, Rehab, which is where they eventually transfer you to the "Terminations" department.

Two of my offspring have received new offers in there (usually the "there is a new offer on trial...." story.)

The third one got his service switched odd immediately he put the phone down.

It's a game of chance!
I, too, have benefited in a similar way.

I'm sure I have become known as a 'complainer', but in fairness I complain only when there is a genuine cause for complaint (which I have to say is not infrequently).

I telephoned a few months ago about some fault or other (there are so many I can't remember exactly which one) and was fortunate that my call went through to the (rather elusive) Scottish centre.

Having received an apology and an assurance that their 'engineers are dealing with the problem', the very pleasant young lady added that she would arrange to reduce my bill to £28 per month for the next 18 months.

I told her that I wasn't calling with a view to obtaining any financial recompense and all I want is a reliable service, but she insisted that this was being done because I am such a valued long-term customer.

Read into that what you will.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 10:51 PM

"I told her that I wasn't calling with a view to obtaining any financial recompense and all I want is a reliable service, but she insisted that this was being done because I am such a valued long-term customer."

Is that what they're calling us suckers now?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
"I told her that I wasn't calling with a view to obtaining any financial recompense and all I want is a reliable service, but she insisted that this was being done because I am such a valued long-term customer."

Is that what they're calling us suckers now?
Yes, it certainly cut no ice with me.

The only reason I have not left VM is that the BT lines are slow.

I wonder whether there are any satellite broadband suppliers? That would have the potential of fast speeds.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 09:27 AM

I think the way the service is used has to be considered. A fast speed is probably only necessary if online videos (YouTube for instance), iplayers, Netflix or other streaming services are used. Also if more than one person on the same connection is using such services at the same time.

This happens sometimes in our home but not often enough really need the speed shown below, so I am thinking of dropping down a notch or two. Then again, I can afford the service I get from VM, so might just keep it. A dilemma that I keep debating in my own mind but keep putting off any action. We don't spend our money on holidays, cars etc., so might as well spend it on the home and the services available.

Maybe I'll change things one of these days.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think the way the service is used has to be considered. A fast speed is probably only necessary if online videos (YouTube for instance), iplayers, Netflix or other streaming services are used. Also if more than one person on the same connection is using such services at the same time.

This happens sometimes in our home but not often enough really need the speed shown below, so I am thinking of dropping down a notch or two. Then again, I can afford the service I get from VM, so might just keep it. A dilemma that I keep debating in my own mind but keep putting off any action. We don't spend our money on holidays, cars etc., so might as well spend it on the home and the services available.

Maybe I'll change things one of these days.

Mart I get by with maximum of 2.5 Mb/s , what annoys me is I pay the same price as those with a faster speed although I don't have the option to do things that many people do because they requires a faster speed.

Not one company seems to offer a reduced rate to people like myself.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 11:57 AM

That is a poor speed Meg. I know that low connection speeds are a problem in some parts of the country. I don't know what the answer is but hope it can be improved A.S.A.P.

The trouble is that any move towards this will need quite a lot of work if it's being done via cables under the ground and a network of new junction boxes. Companies will no doubt want to recoup that cost by charging more for the higher speed ..if the work ever gets done.

Whatever company does it, I don't think there will be special rates for those of us past retiring age or for those who are housebound (for instance). This means that, even though higher speeds might become available, there will always be those staying on lower speeds for expense reasons. Hopefully however, the least expensive option will still be better than 2.5 Mb/s.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-03-2017, 11:42 AM

I see on the news this morning that OFCOM are calling for mandatory compensation to be paid by broadband suppliers who fail to provide the service they advertise.

'Bring' it on, I say.

As my Virgin Media e-mail 'service' has been inaccessible for a week now, I'd be the first to make my claim.

As I've said before, I don't want the money - I'd willingly give it to charity - I just want a reliable service.

If this suggestion does come about, it is just what companies like Virgin Media need. There's nothing like a serious and ongoing reduction of their profits to prompt them to get their act together.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top