Join for free
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 06:38 AM

General Election 2017: The Result

So the verdict is in, although a hung parliament is probably the worst possible result for the country.

However, credit to Labour for running an excelent campaign, and even though most of the promises were completely undeliverable they did offer hope of a better world which was eagerly grasped by millions.

Interesting times ahead methinks.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 06:58 AM

Re: General Election 2017: The Result

What exactly are the day to day implications of a 'hung parliament' ?

Does it mean that neither party can form a government and we have to go through this all over again?

Is T May still Prime Minister?

Sorry if I appear naive but politics has always left me somewhat bewildered!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What exactly are the day to day implications of a 'hung parliament' ?

Does it mean that neither party can form a government and we have to go through this all over again?

Is T May still Prime Minister?
The conservatives will still form a government but they will have to do a deal with other parties to get legislation through the commons, which they would not have needed to do with an overall majority of their own seats.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 07:11 AM

Thank you Barry.

Please tell me that does not mean one of the 'others' could block Brexit and make it rumble on forever?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

09-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thank you Barry.

Please tell me that does not mean one of the 'others' could block Brexit and make it rumble on forever?
I'm afraid so ST, I really can't see Brexit succeeding now as well as it would have done with one party in command of the house. As I said, the worst possible result and one which I hope we don't come to regret.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 07:16 AM

Well it's all over bar the shouting.

Not a good result for the Conservatives

Actually the shouting was for Corbyn who ran a much better campaign talking to huge rallies where thousands of people cheered him. he always had a smile on his face too.

Teresa May went to small gatherings mainly indoors looking very serious and the Election should not have been fougth on Brexit.
It is obvious the people are tired of Wages Capped and austerity and even if Corbyn was willing to get the Country into debt, lots of folk simply do not care as long as their standard of living improves.

And I do not vote for Labour.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 07:29 AM

Like a lot of people I expected a large Conservative majority

I'm not so bothered about the Conservative party as such, but it will obviously make achieving Brexit more difficult

the other fly in the ointment is that Tim Farron has retained his seat. I don't suppose the arrogant whingeing toad will ever be off our TV screens now
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Well it's all over bar the shouting.

Not a good result for the Conservatives

Actually the shouting was for Corbyn who ran a much better campaign talking to huge rallies where thousands of people cheered him. he always had a smile on his face too.

Teresa May went to small gatherings mainly indoors looking very serious and the Election should not have been fougth on Brexit.
It is obvious the people are tired of Wages Capped and austerity and even if Corbyn was willing to get the Country into debt, lots of folk simply do not care as long as their standard of living improves.

And I do not vote for Labour.
Isn't that the problem though? Look at the supermarket BOGOF offers and other similar I ideas, you will find that we have become a nation of people who want something for nothing. As long as people think that, if they need something the government will provide it, they will do nothing to help themselves. Whilst this continues, less people will have the incentive to work harder and build businesses that will provide jobs. Without those businesses and the tax they will pay, who is going to provide the money to improve peoples lives?
For all the people who were concerned about how Brexit will damage the lives of the young, I wonder how many are concerned about the national debt, that is likely to be caused by Corbyns ideas, and how much that will damage the young people's future.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 07:44 AM

She has no intention of resigning, latest news.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
She has no intention of resigning, latest news.

Neither did that evil witch Thatcher (phth, phth, phth) until the 'nasty party' panjandrums called on her and one by one and stuck bloody great knives in her back.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top