Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 12:44 PM

Dogs feet in this heat!

Yesterday at about 2.30 I had to force myself to venture out in my little car to the local Co-op. It was very unpleasant, my car told me it was 30 degrees.
On the way back a woman with two border collies was walking along the pavement and one almost ran in front of me.
The dogs were dancing about trying to keep their paws off the tarmac.
Stupid woman! How would she feel walking barefoot on that hot stuff!
I make a point of taking Floyd out early before it gets too hot.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Re: Dogs feet in this heat!

People just don't think do they.
Chloe is luck, when hot I can take her down the lane which is shaded by trees with grass underfoot.
She has a 'proper walk ' in the early morning on dew covered grass and after dark which she seems to like best
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 02:09 PM

I once saw a absolutely idiotic, selfish moron in the last hot spell.
He was riding his bike on the pavement, burning hot day it was, and his Staffie was being made to run next to him on a lead.
This despicable man was peddling fast. The dogs tongue was nearly dragging along the pavement. He looked about to collapse. In a way I hoped he would, then this man would have to stop.

I had shot past in my car and couldn't stop, but I was fuming.

I know we say it on here times, but what is the matter with some people?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 03:51 PM

Flippin heck, there is no way I would take my little mutts out in this heat! He who must obey takes them to the field at 6.30am in the morning and again with me at around 8 pm when it has cooled down.

Wow! It’s certainly hot. I don’t know where on earth my two little mutts find the energy but at the moment they are chasing each other at lightning speed, the full length of the deck and taking the three steps down to the garden as if they were Superman taking off!! I’m tired just looking at them! I keep filling their water dishes outside from a 4 pint milk carton Filled with ice-cold water, I first freeze it just so it starts to form ice crystals and then keep it in the fridge. I only fill the dishes with this cold water once they have already had a good drink so they leave it for a while and the sunshine soon warms it up, but not as much as it would ordinary tap filled water.

I also have a large jug of made up Lemonade and Lime for me in the Fridge. It's too bloomin hot to do much.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 04:08 PM

Mine are all being very sensible Shroppy, and just lounging around indoors.

It certainly is a corker isn't it. They said 34 degs I believe. Too much for me. I can't get on with any of the outside jobs I wanted to do.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 04:43 PM

We love it ( now we are not pounding the streets of London) actually painted the garden bench today We never actually sit on it but no doubt the rooks will like their newly coloured perch !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 04:53 PM

My bird bath doesn't hold water anymore so I put one of those large plant pot tray thingys on top and filled it with water for the birds.
I will look for some waterproof painting stuff if I get to the shops tomorrow
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 05:40 PM

My wee Abby still insists on her three walks a day but we are only a two minute walk from the woods which is in full shade all day. Her first one is around 6am when it is lovely and cool. The second, around midday, is the hottest time of day but still in full shade from when we leave home to when we get home. I always carry a bottle of water with me straight from the fridge and when she is ready she turns round, looks at me and licks her lips. She is happy to drink from my hand, in fact I think she loves to. The last walk of the day is after the sun is below the tree line.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 06:00 PM

Those cats were whinging about the heat - so I gave them a rub down with a cool wet towel. They enjoyed it at the time - but then complained it had ruffled their fur. I offered to shave their fur off ... they took off in the direction of my bedroom - haven't seen them since!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 06:53 PM

On Murphys FB page this morning reports that two dogs had lost their lives due to idiot owners. One was a 10 month old Melchese herder locked in a crate in the back of a car in Belgium the other was here in NL when granny decided it would be fun for her grandkids to take the dog to the park and throw the ball for him... It was 27c here yesterday and her dog was an overweight english bulldog.
Granny rang the animal ambulance saying her dog was having a fit , they came and realised the dog had overheated and with its short face there was no way to get the oxygen it needed despite all efforts the dog died..

Sadly there is no law against stupidity..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top