Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 08:33 AM

Re: Cheapest PAYG Mobile? 1p

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Here is someone who really doesn't have a clue about mobile phones, except how to text, call someone, take photos and download apps such as the one that holds my shopping lists etc.

I am thinking of looking for a better deal when our dual mobile contracts with EE ends in March 2018. We have paid £20 per phone for years. I know it is far too much, I love texting on my phone so pleased have so many free texts. Our bill is always only for the rental with no bills for texts/calls.

He who must obey is retiring in November. At work he always uses his work mobile, which not allowed for personal calls, hence always has two phones with him. He feels he no longer has any need for his mobile after November though and we can share my phone. His reasoning is that if either of us is out, we can phone the other on the BT landline which we have anytime free calls 7 days a week.

I am pondering on whether to just take out a pay-as-you-go rather than a monthly contract when I renew (as long as I can get free calls and texts on a pay-as-you-go) or should I look elsewhere other than BT. (Have our TV and Broadband with BT as well) and of course, they have just bought out EE with whom we are with.

the only problem is that I don't know whether I will use up more in topping it up than it costs for the £20 currently paying for a monthly contract, I have never had a pay-as-you-go phone before.

Any tips please on which is best? Is pay-as-you-go good value or would you recommend a monthly contract?
I haven't been able to ask anyone as all family members are on monthly contracts,which makes me wonder if pay-as-you-go is good value??.
I admit to not having read all of this thread. Husband and I are in the same position that you will find yourselves shropshiregirl.

We share one mobile phone and if one is out we phone the other on the BT landline. The mobile phone is PAYG which I top up online as and when is necessary. We have never had a mobile phone monthly contract so I am unable to advise you. I will say it works for us as my husband is disabled and so we are mostly at home together.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I have.
Three will cost nothing. No commitment. It depends however upon usage.

Your £30 per year commitment equates to a mix of 3000 minutes, texts and/or MB of data per year. Since that is insufficient for the needs of many, there are better alternatives..
The above essentially is admission that in fact THREE's PAYG is NOT at all cheaper than 1pMobile. Claiming that it is cheaper purely on the basis that there is no minimum topup commitment is frankly puerile.

Let's just use your own figures there. You're saying that 3000 texts in a year would be insufficient for most people's needs. So if we take that as a bare minimum we can assess the cost of that in the THREE PAYG tariff.

For those still reading, THREE charge :

3p per min for calls
2p per text
1p per MB data

So 3000 texts would cost 3000 x 2p = £60 !!!

That is of course twice the price of 1pMobile who charge

1p per min for calls
1p per text
1p per MB data

Let's do the same numbers looking at calls not texts

3000 mins of calls on THREE PAYG would cost £90 !!!

The same 3000 mins on 1pMobile would cost just £30 !!

Really I'm not sure who you're trying to kid here.

The THREE network is abysmal in terms of coverage compared to most other networks. That alone is reason enough for me personally to stay away from it. Even in some major cities I don't get 4 bars of signal with THREE whereas with Vodafone and others it is always full signal strength.

THREE PAYG costs 3 times as much as 1pMobile for calls

THREE PAYG costs 2 times as much as 1pMobile for texts

This thread was created to highlight, for the benefit of others, that 1pMobile exists and is very clearly THE CHEAPEST PAYG tariff available on the market today.

I don't work for 1pMobile, I have no vested interest or profit to be gained by promoting them. I didn't know they existed myself until I dug around and having done so and having realised it is by a country mile the cheapest, and because it operates on the EE network which appears to have far better network coverage than THREE, I can only recommend it.

BTW you may wish to note that THREE also make false claims on their website. It says:

"We have the lowest Pay As You Go rates in the UK."

That is clearly Billy BS or else is pedantically caveated with some very unique special circumstance scenario.

3p/2p/1p is NOT better that 1p/1p/1p !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 11:18 AM

I think no two people use their phones same way or on same area so everyone can be right for their own usage and area. Trying to point score is pointless unless you are both using them identically.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 03:29 PM

The usage doesn't change the tariff Julie. The tariff is what it is and that of 1pMobile is clearly the cheapest of all current available PAYG tariffs.

We can do any amount of scenarios and examples of costs with different levels of user usage but unless we are considering someone who wouldn't use at least 3000 texts or 3000 mins of calls in an entire year we are always going to arrive at the same conclusion. Which is you can't beat 1p per text, 1p per min call, 1p per MB data.

Still I am willing to be proved wrong if there is a cheaper tariff.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I have.
You ignored it (as I said you would).
FreedomPop:
https://uk.freedompop.com/uk?experience=organic.default

Free is really Free, no gimmicks or games. FreedomPop believes mobile access is a right and not a privilege and is committed to offering basic levels of mobile service 100% truly free. If you need more than basic, we hope you will pay for our bigger plans that are priced well below the market.
Free.
An MVNO using the Three network.
200 minutes, 200 texts and 200 MB of data every month, free.

Yes I know "But it's Three ....." - well some people cannot get coverage with other operators too but it doesn't stop those that do from using the service.

Now tell us how free is more expensive than a minimum £30 per annum?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 07:25 PM

The usage doesn't change the tariff Julie. The tariff is what it is and that of 1pMobile is clearly the cheapest of all current available PAYG tariffs.

We can do any amount of scenarios and examples of costs with different levels of user usage but unless we are considering someone who wouldn't use at least 3000 texts or 3000 mins of calls in an entire year we are always going to arrive at the same conclusion. Which is you can't beat 1p per text, 1p per min call, 1p per MB data.

I'm not going to try to go cheaper than zaphod but to most of us usage does matter if I followed your lead and it cost me more than I pay now it would matter to you too I promise !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I have.
You ignored it (as I said you would).
FreedomPop:
https://uk.freedompop.com/uk?experience=organic.default
There are no free lunches.

The following review website (the first I Googled) came up with a plethora of irate customers saying this company is a scam, that it applies lots of random charges to your account and that you can't contact their customer services.

Not really a worthy recommendation TBH.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/freedompop.com

Just one of the reviews:

"They ask for your credit card for the "free" service. Sketchy. Then they TRY to upsell you over and over. I carefully declined all upsells - I just wanted to try the "free" service" So I was activated and good to go. Only problem is is that it does not work. At all. I checked my credit card and found they were hitting it with charges - so NO means yes to them clearly. And my phone got taken over with tons of spam and windows popping open trying to get me to download things and install things. And there is NO customer service AT ALL. So I am left with money gone, lots of hours wasted, a phone that is deluged with garbage, and now I have to cancel my credit card because of the scam company hitting it. And the service does not work. I can not make call or get data. It just says I can not make a call from this phone. And no customer service at all means they get away with it. Time for a federal investigation"
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 09:28 AM

There are no free lunches.
What a pointless comment - just for example then since you mention "lunch", try telling that to those using the huge variety of free meals service for the homeless or food banks.

And yet strangely FreedomPop too do offer a free service.
BTW this is not a "first" here in the UK to offer free mobile calls & texts, either.

I thought you only wanted to disagree and it seems I am proven correct.

Nice review link and selective quotation; anything to prove negativity towards whatever you do not approve of, eh?
Did you not note that the majority of reviews there are from outside the UK - or did you maybe conveniently disregard that part?
Why did you not tell us what the Trustpilot score was?
Okay, I will:
FreedomPop score on Trustpilot = 5.5 out of 10.
By comparison, EE = 1.5 out of 10 and Vodafone 0.5 out of 10. So according to Trustpilot, which is the worst?

Before you begin (as I know you will) to counter and say "but Trustpilot scores 1pMobile at 8.6" - yes, but you pay for it, as has been said before.

As for coverage - well three has 9.2 million customers as of December 2016 according to their website, plus how many MVNO's? For example, Carphone Warehouse's "iD mobile" uses that network too. So as I said yesterday, coverage cannot be as poor as your experience suggests.
People complain about coverage of all the networks.

Don't mistake this as a personal recommendation of FreedomPop BTW. It is not. What it is though is proof that you can get cheaper than your recommendation which is, after all, what you yourself asked for.
Which is you can't beat 1p per text, 1p per min call, 1p per MB data.
And:
This thread was created to highlight, for the benefit of others, that 1pMobile exists and is very clearly THE CHEAPEST PAYG tariff available on the market today.
These statements have conclusively been proven incorrect.

Again, I am not personally recommending FreedomPop; I am showing what is available.
As a free service there are bound to be limitations.
To which end if anyone is interested, here is a 16-odd minute video with quite a comprehensive review.
From here in the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niyvy7hQKKU

There would appear to be little point in going further because you seem determined in your personal crusade.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not going to try to go cheaper than zaphod but to most of us usage does matter if I followed your lead and it cost me more than I pay now it would matter to you too I promise !
Absolutely so, and this was the point of my initial response.
What a shame that the OP does not recognise this fact when even Ofcom do.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

05-09-2017, 11:01 AM

You've proved nothing Zaphod I'm sorry to say.

I truly hope noone has followed your leads to the Freedompop "free" mobile service. People have had to close down their bank accounts and credit cards to prevent further charges.

You know full well I did not cherry pick one negative public review. The internet is literally littered with terrible reviews of Freedompop and 90% of them are about the same scam which is customers appear to be being routinely charged for things they didn't sign up for.

Here are some reviews from the actual Freedompop website community forum itself:

I shall leave readers here to make their own common sense judgement as to your "free" mobile service !!

https://forums.freedompop.com/us/cat.../freedompop-uk

"I have been charged 12.98 this morning for no reason what so ever want a refund don't know why this has happened again"

"I don't know why I got 4 sim cards but I only assigned 1 a phone number and downgraded to the free plan before the end of the trial. Can you please refund the 3 charges and cancel the 3 sims? Also, I didn't realize I needed to cancel the services that were included in the trial, so I canceled that too."

"Unauthorized/unexplained charges
My paypal account was charged $89.94 and nowhere on my Freedom Pop billing page is the charge listed. What is this for and how to I stop the charge?"

"Being charged £3.99 for a 'Free plan'
Received confirmation as follows: 'This email is to inform you that your data plan has been downgraded to the free plan.'
But being charged £3.99 per month subsequently since October 2016 and have not used the phone and have '0's shown on my use log. A full refund of the amounts withdrawn from my account would be greatly appreciated"

"I ordered a FreedomPop SIM in June having seen the deal online. Unfortunately the SIM wasn't delivered and I moved on. I notice, however, that in July and August FreedomPop helped themselves to deposits of £10.98 from my account. Again, I received nor activated the SIM. How can this be?"

"I signed up for the free Freedompop account, which was 99p for the sim. I immediately checked my account and ensured I was registered for the Basic 200 package. I have since discovered I have received four monthly charges of £3.99 for the Premier Service which i did NOT sign up for, consent to or upgrade to."

"Hi laura,
I had exactly the same problem as you - being billed for service NOT signed up for. Having been aware of this problem, I asked my credit card service NOT to accept any charges from FreedomPop - so no more charges!"

and so on and on and on.

100s and 100s of similar reviews/comments across the internet.

No there is no free lunch. Someone always has to pay somewhere in the chain.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

05-09-2017, 11:57 AM

You've proved nothing Zaphod I'm sorry to say.
Such responses give the appearance of no more than an infantile tantrum.
You're sore because I provided a service cheaper than you thought available, so proving your statements wrong.

You did not ask for the best PAYG service nor for the most reliable, so the rest of your post is irrelevant.
If you had said for example "still I am willing to be proved wrong if there is a cheaper and equally reliable tariff." you might have a point.
You did not, though - and the FreedomPop service obviously works for some people otherwise they could not continue trading.
As with much in life these things are relative; if you want the very cheapest there will be an alternative price to pay.

I proved that there is a cheaper alternative to your option.
It might not be the "bees knees"; it might indeed not the the best thing since the invention of the wheel but it is cheaper.
"Free" beats "£30" every time.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top