Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Re: Some really good news

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I've planned to have a few days away early August. I would like to get a cheaper range digital camera that can also take videos but need a camera that takes an OTG cable so I can transfer to my Amazon fire tablet. Any suggestions?
Good advice up there from realspeed.

If you have a budget in mind I could probably make a few suggestions.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 07:55 PM

"What camera should I get" must be about the most common question I get asked.

There is no must get this or must get that make version type or whatever. Each person has their own ideas

However there are some guidlines which might just help

The first is what is the budget allowed for when buying a camera. This can determined a lot. No good buying the most expensive and not having a clue on how to get the best out of it

next is what type of camera DSLR (digital single lens reflex) the type that has intechangable lens. Or possibly a "compact" point and shoot type. there are now even what is called mirrorless cameras new to the market.

there are a lot of "stills" camera that also do video but how good the videos are can be questionable.

or one could go for a camcorder now about the same price as a stills camera but also can take stills.

Ok what is the difference? licencing is the answer, stills cameras that do videos can only recorded a certain time amount, camcorders are unlimited time for video recording

But that is going off track

Ok now you have a price bracket which manufacture to go for? I would say they are all as good as one another it is what they can do is the difference.
So my advice is to only pick out say 3 and then decided on which one or it gets too confusing

How do I know I have got the right one for me?

there is only one way and that is to get hands on in a camera shop. Is it comfortable to hold and have an easy way to use/understand the menu, if yes then that is the one for you.

Forget all the tech stuff I could go on for pages about that, all you want to do is go take pictures. easiest is to leave it in auto and let the camera do the work

Little story I have told before but worth repeating.

before we retired my manageress and I used to take days out to go on a photographic day. We had just finished the mornings shoot of raptors and went in the cafe for a coffee.

In come this middle aged man and his wife ranting and raging about his new camera he bought the day before.

Him to wife "Damn Nikon cameras they don't work, I told you I should have got a Cannon they work. This damn thing cost a fortunes and is a load of crap, I don't know why shops are allowed to sell them". And so it went on for about 10 minutes.

So Dawn my manageress lent over and said I had a Nikon camera maybe she could find out the problem.

So he handed it over and Dawn looked at it and asked for the battery.

Yes he had forgotten to put it in the camera let alone charge it up the night before.
Well his face was a picture and he stormed out blaming his wife for not reminding him.

Why tell this true story? so one doesn't forget to have one or at least two batteries fully charged first.

My other thing I would mention is if buying a DSLR camera check out the cost and range of lenses for it , I am not keen on third party lenses I prefer the camera manufacturers own makes

There is a saying in the world of photographers "All the gear and no idea"

So don't think just because someone has a fancy latest "must have" they know what they are doing
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 08:15 PM

Ok you now have a camera what pictures to take? is another question I frequently get asked.
It depends on what one is interested in. One could be interested in landscapes- portraits-wildlife- buildings etc etc. I always suggest concentrate on your main interest and try and master that first, then everything else afterwards.

Every photographer will tell you the only way to get any good is practise practise and practise, learn by your own mistakes. I have made so many you could cover a wall with them
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 09:20 PM

Some good tips Realspeed
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-07-2017, 09:32 PM

Should I take up classes to lean photography?

I didn't for one good reason, I didn't want to copy what other had done before.

I always use this example
Look at all your great painters their pictures are worth millions, those who copy are never heard of

One can have qualifications as long as an arm, but can they take outstanding photos???? erm leave that up to you

Where else than can I learn?

Just look around you , shop windows are full of pictures as are advertising hoardings- bus sides - newspapers and mags , in fact everywhere.

I would say don't look at the content but how they were shot, ground up- overhead-side on- background etc

When we went on professional shoot with our dogs I was amazed at what went into a professional shoot. There was of course the photographer, but also the model -her makeup artist- er hair stylist- her clothes designer - lighting technician each with their own helper. then there was the hire of props not to mention all the different agents involved. Then of course the caterers on location shoots it went on and on, I was amazed to say the least

This is one of the videos we did that was shown on TV with our Muffin ( Kabella Ice Cream at Pashkym) the Afghan hound

gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Gasman & Mr Oy.

A great idea. I must retrieve my camera which has been boxed in my loft for the past three years since moving. I seem to remember it's an Olympus PEN but I haven't seen it for a while so don't know which version.

I have always been interested in photography but have never really taken the time to learn what all the settings mean so this could be useful.

Thanks again.
Now is the time to ask LD and regain your interest in photography. Go for it mate, you know that you want to
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-07-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Now is the time to ask LD and regain your interest in photography. Go for it mate, you know that you want to
definately go for it
gasman
Kent, UK

17-07-2017, 10:22 PM

Should I take up classes to lean photography?

I didn't for one good reason, I didn't want to copy what other had done before.

I always use this example
Look at all your great painters their pictures are worth millions, those who copy are never heard of

One can have qualifications as long as an arm, but can they take outstanding photos???? erm leave that up to you

With due respect, some people might find that joining a camera club might help them in many ways :
Learning how to set up their camera
Learning exposure
Learning camera modes
etc, etc, etc and the list is not exhaustive.
You do not have to copy what other people have done before, but, by asking questions, one might find the direction that one wants to go.
Having qualifications in any given subject doesn't mean that you excel in any particular field.
The camera doesn't take the photo, the person behind it does.
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 11:00 PM

I'm yet to see a camera club that actually teaches photography. The one's I've been to are more concerned with beating each other in competitions.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-07-2017, 11:03 PM

I did say classes not clubs

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top