Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 11:55 PM

Japanese Knotweed spread

A serious theat and a house buyers or property investors nightmare.

Five years ago the Environmental Agency launched an app called Plant Tracker to map the spread of all invasive weeds.
According to my gardening mag. last month it hit a milestone, with more than 20,000 people having downloaded it, and 6,000 Japanese Knotweed trouble-spots highlighted in the UK.

High concentrations of this dreaded weed have been reported in South Wales, London, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle on Tyne, Birmingham and the southern tip of Cornwall.

Now, web-cam users can examine areas street-by-street, and see where knotweed has been reported in their neighbourhoods.

This weed can breach brick walls, come up through tarmac, damage foundations, and even get in to homes.
Mortgage lenders can refuse to approve a loan on a property, and house buyers will often pull out if a survey detects the presence of knotweed - even it it is in nearby countryside.

Japanese Knotweed was introduced to the UK by the Victorians as an ornamental plant. It was even used to stabilize embankments of canals and railways.

You can go to -

http://planttracker.org.uk

if you want to see the plant tracker map.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 08:24 AM

Re: Japanese Knotweed spread

Himalayan Balsam is aslo taking over the waters edge and not allowing our native plants to grow. There is a annual clearance of it along the Trent , it seeds shoot out 7ft then get carried by the Trent to further along the bank.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 08:29 AM

I have Winter Heliotrope in my garden but am slowly winning the battle against it I think it's incredibily invasive.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...opping.gardens
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 01:43 PM

Himalayan Balsam is vast. All over the length of various rivers, including the Elwy in North Wales. No one can do anything and it's clogging the parts that I know.
Todder
New Member!
North West
Todder is male 

30-09-2017, 01:54 PM

I have had trouble over the years with a "Russian Vine" growing wild -in fact it had completely covered three large conifers nearby as well as taking over my next door neighbours garden -however I seem to have destroyed it as it has suddenly died off--I doused it in Bleach -job done
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 01:55 PM

I have that too I was wondering how to get rid of it.
Todder
New Member!
North West
Todder is male 

30-09-2017, 01:59 PM

Muddy you have to keep on top of it and really douse it more so when it is raining. T
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

30-09-2017, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Himalayan Balsam is vast. All over the length of various rivers, including the Elwy in North Wales. No one can do anything and it's clogging the parts that I know.
It's all over the river and canal banks down here too.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 05:27 PM

Hi

We have Himalayan Balsam on the river banks of our fishing clubs.

We strim it and burn it every close season, from March to June.

It is not that difficult to get rid of.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=480

Japanese Knotweed is a real pain, it took years to get it under control around a pool we took over.

We chopped it down and then kept burning it with a large paraffin flame gun every week.

It eventually worked.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
A serious theat and a house buyers or property investors nightmare.

Five years ago the Environmental Agency launched an app called Plant Tracker to map the spread of all invasive weeds.
According to my gardening mag. last month it hit a milestone, with more than 20,000 people having downloaded it, and 6,000 Japanese Knotweed trouble-spots highlighted in the UK.

High concentrations of this dreaded weed have been reported in South Wales, London, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle on Tyne, Birmingham and the southern tip of Cornwall.

Now, web-cam users can examine areas street-by-street, and see where knotweed has been reported in their neighbourhoods.

This weed can breach brick walls, come up through tarmac, damage foundations, and even get in to homes.
Mortgage lenders can refuse to approve a loan on a property, and house buyers will often pull out if a survey detects the presence of knotweed - even it it is in nearby countryside.

Japanese Knotweed was introduced to the UK by the Victorians as an ornamental plant. It was even used to stabilize embankments of canals and railways.

You can go to -

http://planttracker.org.uk

if you want to see the plant tracker map.
That's a damn good map ... almost wish I hadn't zoomed in now.

I wonder if it's in a canal it'll stay there or clamber out Triffid like and invade the nearby gardens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top