Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 10:44 PM

Scary snowmen?

Is mine the only dog in the world that is scared of snowmen? He ran around the corner of the street last week barking and growling at something. I assumed it was a cat or a fox, but as I turned the corner it was a snowman that someone had built on the pavement and put a tweed cap on! He didn't stop growling until he got close and sniffed it.

So I thought it was a one off but tonight in the park he started going bananas at something I couldn't make out in the dark. This time it was just the snowball from a snowman that had melted down to one ball. There was another on the other side of the path and he started running to that too and barking. Good job I had him on the long lead as the path was icy and he could have pulled me over.

Snow joke!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 12:01 AM

Re: Scary snowmen?

My oldest didn't mind this one last time it snowed:

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 12:53 AM

Mups not only is your dog totally lovely, but also very sensible to recognise an inanimate object. Or do snowmen develop a temporary spirit?!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Mups not only is your dog totally lovely, but also very sensible to recognise an inanimate object. Or do snowmen develop a temporary spirit?!

Thank you Annie.

I imagine it was the element of surprise that upset your dog.
He rounded a corner and it was suddenly there in front of him.
Self preservation makes them either investigate - or attack.

My old gal saw me building this one bit by bit, she was with me all the time, so I guess it didn't frighten her.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-12-2017, 01:11 AM

Mups I guess I will have to hope for either snow so we can overcome Teddy's phobia together by me building a snowman, or no snow ever again so he never has to face his dreaded bogeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-12-2017, 01:23 AM

Mups I guess I will have to hope for either snow so we can overcome Teddy's phobia together by me building a snowman, or no snow ever again so he never has to face his dreaded bogeyman!

Yes, if we have some more, I'd perhaps roll a small snowball for him to play with, then gradually make it a bit bigger and take it from there.
I'd perhaps also pretend to talk to the snowman, introduce him to your dog even. Involve him.
I know it sounds crazy, but if he sees you are 'friends' with Mr. Snowman, it might help him see it is nothing to be afraid of.

I can understand him being wary if this odd looking gremlin suddenly appears from nowhere, right in front of him, especially if it was big.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Of course they do. Have you not seen that film about them.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
My oldest didn't mind this one last time it snowed:

Lovely photo Mups

I hope you don't mind but your dogs photos always look like little baa lambs to me. Such cute looking dogs.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top