Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 11:15 PM

China’s plastic scrap ban threatens ‘crisis’ for UK recycling industry

There was another debate about this on the radio tonight and it is going to become a very serious issue and hopefully lead to changes in the amount of packaging we use. The notable fact was that 490 tonnes of plastic is used to shrink wrap our cucumbers each year.

So why do we shrink wrap cucumbers but not courgettes?

I'm sure plastics and packaging is a big industry. But how on earth did we live before it?

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...-uk-recycling/
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 07:45 AM

Re: China’s plastic scrap ban threatens ‘crisis’ for UK recycling industry

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There was another debate about this on the radio tonight and it is going to become a very serious issue and hopefully lead to changes in the amount of packaging we use. The notable fact was that 490 tonnes of plastic is used to shrink wrap our cucumbers each year.

I'm sure plastics and packaging is a big industry. But how on earth did we live before it?

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...-uk-recycling/

We had newspaper and paper carrier bags with string handles.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 08:29 AM

I was pleased to hear a report about a company in Cumbria who have found a way to recycle all the millions of Coffee cups made from a mix of paper & plastic. What a great idea!

I am always horrified to see the amount of packaging used for food products!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 09:05 AM

If you buy anything from Primark they always give you a Paper bag with handles and they are very strong, so why can't other shops do the same. Fresh fish was always wrapped in newspaper and meat, we don't need all this plastic packaging.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Food packaging could me made to the size required rather than being three times bigger than the contents. That would help.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 11:46 AM

OohI know a joke about things being wrapped in bags but I dearn't post it on here
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
OohI know a joke about things being wrapped in bags but I dearn't post it on here
Is it a recycled joke?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 12:08 PM

sent it to you in a PM
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The notable fact was that 490 tonnes of plastic is used to shrink wrap our cucumbers each year.

The obvious answer is because cucumbers have a very high water content compared to courgettes. Cucumbers will rot quickly and just become mush whereas courgettes will retain their firmness for much longer and then start going soft.

For those managing storage of large quantities of cucumbers I would think it would be a nightmare if they weren't shrink wrapped as any old produce would make a huge mess and drip on and contaminate other produce.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2017, 01:16 AM

Realist I am sure I remember buying unwrapped cucumbers in the not too distant past. This is all about profit and no regard for the environment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top