Join for free
Page 16 of 274 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
That's a great idea actually, Longdogs. What I'll try to do is dig out some of the older albums' gate-fold sleeves etc. That will make an interesting alternative.
Sorry to cause you even more work - but I do remember the excitement of opening a new album cover and reading all the blurb inside.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sorry to cause you even more work - but I do remember the excitement of opening a new album cover and reading all the blurb inside.
No, on the contrary, Longdogs. It will make things more interesting seeing other aspects to the album in question. Maybe the odd picture of the band etc too, I dunno yet.
As I said though, it's only really worth doing this with albums from the pre-CD era, as those little inlay cards don't really offer much in the way of elaborate artwork.
I'm thinking of those wonderfully-designed Yes sleeves by Roger Dean, or the Hipgnosis ones for Pink Floyd....but you are going to have to wait a very long time for those!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I would separate what a "popular" album is from one which is more of an acquired taste though, Ffosse.
Odessa is a record which would be more highly respected by the likes if you and me, ie. music connoisseurs, but if the 'casual' listener was to think of a Bee Gees album they would mostly mention 'Saturday Night Fever' and struggle to name another.
Bee Gees First is an excellent debut album.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Bee Gees First is an excellent debut album.
It is, Ffosse. New York Mining Disaster etc. Sadly, I missed that one!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-01-2018, 05:52 PM

Just another note on eligibility for inclusion.
As the list goes forth, you will notice the absence of some very major acts, some of them who would feature in a list of favourite artists but not in an albums list.

This is mostly because many artists are known for a whole array of singles, but as album acts they are not so highly praised.

Such genres include those 1960's acts such as all those Beatles-era bands who had some big hits, same as Tamla Motown vocal groups - they are best known for their greatest hits packages than their own original albums. See what I mean? I've mentioned before that my list is not going to be littered with 'best ofs' as that merely highlights the artist rather than the merits of a proper release. Another genre is the 'crooner' - Andy Williams was one of my favourite vocalists but as an album artist, you will only find the odd classic single amongst a track listing of old cover versions.

Same goes for the 1970s - Slade, The Sweet, Mud. Great singles but that's it really. Disco and punk bands who had the odd one-hit wonder cannot be judged on the strength of one single, so they are not featured. On the other hand, respective artists ie. The Clash or The Stranglers have plenty of albums in here.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 12:49 AM

That's what made The Beatles so great,top twenty singles and good,original albums.

No.922: "Going Back Home" by Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey (2014)

Thanks for the info,I'm going to look out for that.
Dr Feelgood were one of the best live acts.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-01-2018, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
That's what made The Beatles so great,top twenty singles and good,original albums.

No.922: "Going Back Home" by Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey (2014)

Thanks for the info,I'm going to look out for that.
Dr Feelgood were one of the best live acts.
That's the exception isn't it? The Beatles, Stones (up to the early 80's anyway), Abba even...great singles and albums. Most bands have one or the other.

As far as I know, Wilko & Daltrey made a follow-up last year, but I haven't heard that one yet.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

17-01-2018, 04:12 PM

No.915: "A Road Less Travelled" by Half Dead Clatch (2013)

Want something really obscure? This is a bluesman from Hull called Half Dead Clatch. A locally-produced album limited to just a handful of copies, here's the man in action:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

17-01-2018, 04:17 PM

No.914: Violator" by Depeche Mode (1990)

Basildon's finest export who have been around almost 40 years now(!) with their first 'mature' album. Putting aside their synths for more guitar-driven rock-pop, Violator includes the lead single 'Personal Jesus' plus this classic:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

17-01-2018, 04:21 PM

No.913: "Cuts Like A Knife" by Bryan Adams (1983)

Before this Canadian rocker gave up all his street cred in favour of the big bucks and some very turgid hits-by-numbers, Adams came out with some very good material such as this second album.

Page 16 of 274 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top