Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Re: Stoma-versary

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I had to have injections in my stomach for a month following my surgery. I did it myself after the first time of being shown.
My problem was trying to get rid of the sharps bin, my GP would not take it, nor the chemist or hospital. In the end I gave it to my lovely consultant on my six week review and she hid it in the back of her consulting room for me.
Ceecee and anyone else with that problem you have to ring the local council they are the people collect and provide sharps bins. Mine goes on a Thursday I ring on Tuesday to ask for a pick up and I leave it outside by the recycling bin before 7am and by midday I toddle back out and a n empty one is waiting for me.

Took ages for me to discover this though so I do wish it was better advertised.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 12:07 PM

After my BigC op I had to inject every day for a month.
I was given a small sharps bin to take home, then after the month was up I simply handed it back to the hospital for disposal.

This all sounds like a bit of a lottery.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 12:20 PM

I think it depends if it's given to you short term by hospital or on going need and give by the GP Ruthio. Because Gracie's was returned to hospital as it was a 4 week use but ours has been a contract for four years now and was given to us by our GP surgery.
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 03:08 PM

I have been an ostomist for nearly 28 years now. Must say that I usually manage to use normal public loos, only if I think there is a problem do I actually need to use the disabled ones. Never had anyone query me - but perhaps that is due to my age.
However, one of the g.daughters had/has a problem (now largely under management control) - but it meant that for a few years she would often not know when she had a bowel movement. So my daughter would have to take her into a disabled loo to clean her up and get her changed (this was through primary school ages). She did sometimes, get muttered comments about her taking a 8/9/10 year old child into the disabled loo - but just blithely ignored them.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top