Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 03:06 PM

Miriam's big American adventure

Did anyone see it last night?

Miriam Margolyes has ditched the Real Marigold on Tour gang to go it alone. In this new series she confronts her prejudices by driving through the heartlands of Middle America. She sets out on her trip in Chicago – where a wealthy socialite gives her a makeover, much to her distaste – and then insists on being driven to the city’s notorious South Side. There, she hangs out with a former drug dealer and some young gang members, who are all too aware that they’re caught in a tragic cycle of crime and poverty.

(For Bruce)

I thought it was very interesting and have to say it made me think about a few things. She asked some excellent questions and wasn't afraid to say what she thought.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Re: Miriam's big American adventure

She was honest, admitting that her life expectancy would be drastically reduced as she would not be able to keep quiet about the injustice for the 'have not'. Her host was visibly worried having to drive her there. The American dream is a nightmare for those young men and exposed the underbelly of the US. Her straight talking shocked those when she challenged their belief that their country was the best.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 04:01 PM

Yes, I have just been watching it on iPlayer. A very honest assessment, I thought. Having travelled widely in the USA I felt it showed a very true picture. We have been welcomed and made to feel at home in many places, but also realise that one only has to cross the street to be in a dangerous area. We did that once in San Diego and realised when we pulled into a parking lot and a group of black guys started to approach us, that perhaps it would be wise to leave, which we did.

One year my son was in DC for business and he went for his meeting and as he was leaving he was advised to take a cab as to be seen walking down the street in a suit and tie would be to invite trouble as the meeting had been in a dangerous area of the city.

Very much a country of the haves and gave nots.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 04:07 PM

I've recorded this I haven't quite got round to watching it seeing this thread has reminded me to do so. Looking forward to it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
She was honest, admitting that her life expectancy would be drastically reduced as she would not be able to keep quiet about the injustice for the 'have not'. Her host was visibly worried having to drive her there. The American dream is a nightmare for those young men and exposed the underbelly of the US. Her straight talking shocked those when she challenged their belief that their country was the best.
That was hilarious. They just didn't know what to say did they. I don't suppose they had ever heard that before.

What I have discovered about Miriam is that for all her straight talking, rudeness and farting, she is actually a very caring, sensitive person. I am warming to her.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 04:56 PM

Thought the same LD. Took a lot of courage to put herself in real danger to get their opinions. The film crew interviewed a local minister after the area was sealed off because of a shooting.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 04:58 PM

I saw Miriam Margolyes on stage two or three years ago when she was The Book in the re-creation of the radio Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. An ideal role for her, because she was seated all of the time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 05:02 PM

I look forward to the next episode I loved the look on the faces of the evangelical christians when Miriam gave her views on Jesus

I like her ...
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:05 PM

I enjoyed it as well. I really warm to Miriam although I know many people don’t like her.

I find her personality very engaging and her honesty admirable.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 09:32 AM

I'm warming to her too . Her compassion shines through . I'll be watching again . What a terrible place south side in Chicago is , did you see the people just hanging around and the children playing in the street just after a shooting . The security man saying , no one even bothered to stop playing ball , it's part of normality . Kill or be killed . Very sad

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top