Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 01:56 PM

Re: Nasty Party has a Heart of Gold

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why normally people provide their own carpets and soft furnishings .
They don't get everything provided .
Very few unfurnished rentals around here muddy they are all furnished. That's why I said they should have new soft furnishings etc, it seems wrong to me to charge a fortune for something that has had who knows what sat and walked on it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 02:12 PM

Julie I have some knowledge of the rental market .
Most are unfurnished but with white goods.
Social housing is similar
As most people bring their own soft furnishing .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Julie I have some knowledge of the rental market .
Most are unfurnished but with white goods.
Social housing is similar
As most people bring their own soft furnishing .
Not round here. Perhaps you as usual know it all but I've looked round here over the years for various reasons and unfurnished places are like hens teeth. It's to do with rental contracts I believe it's easier to get tenants out of furnished places.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They are still homeless though realist.
Nope. You've failed to read my post as usual.

These people ARE NOT homeless. Most of the people you see on the streets are absolutely 100% accommodated. Those that are not have CHOSEN to turn down available accommodation or abused the accommodation services they have been offered and been thrown out.

I will say it again until cloth eared people get the message:

NOONE, BUT NOONE, NEEDS TO SLEEP ROUGH ON THE STREETS OF BRITAIN.

There ARE emergency and temporary accommodation services ready and waiting to receive these people.

Addiction at first I agree is a choice but once a person is deeply into it they have no choice, it's up to us as a society to provide services and homes to get them off the addictive substances.
But we DO as a society provide services. There are dozens of support centres in every town and city of this country where they can go to hang out, stay warm and dry, get a breakfast, lunch, evening meal, hot drink and usually essentials like sleeping bags, clothing, underwear, sanitary goods, toothbrushes/paste, deodorants and so on. Those services also help these people with adminsitrative matters such as when they get letters from their utility providers that they don't understand, or from their banks or benefits etc. Many of these people eat better than ordinary people do. They get at least 3 square meals a day (often free) in contrast to others who live in MacDonalds and fish and chip shops.

You have to stop thinking and looking at these people as "Homeless". They absolutely are not homeless at all.

They ARE addicts and they need support, long term support, to break out of that cycle. But before that can happen they have to actually want to break out of that cycle. Many don't want to.

We have a drink/drug problem, not a homeless problem.

I've never been a drinker but when we lived in our car there were some nights I could easily have taken something to make things feel better
Why did you live in a car?!

I presume you were either ignorant of available emergency/temporary accommodation or too proud to use it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Its appalling that the scumbag 'nasty party' Councillor suggested it in the first place. Both he and Theresa May are scumbags for failing to address the issue of homelessness not only in Windsor but nationwide.
So what is your answer to the problem? You must have a solution which isn't costing the tax payer millions of pounds

Easy to point out but fixing a different matter entirely. All the members here I am sure are waiting with baited breath to your read your grand plan
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Simple - the scumbag 'nasty party' haven't built enough social housing to accomodate all that want and need it.
I disagree. People do not live on the streets because of the lack of housing. Even if they had somewhere to live they would still need to be able afford the rent and be capable of running a home

When children reach the age where they wish to move out of their parent's home, they don't say 'Mum, Dad, I'm moving out but there are no houses so I'm going to live on the street'.

People live on the streets for all sorts of sad reasons.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

05-01-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Nope. You've failed to read my post as usual.

These people ARE NOT homeless. Most of the people you see on the streets are absolutely 100% accommodated. Those that are not have CHOSEN to turn down available accommodation or abused the accommodation services they have been offered and been thrown out.

I will say it again until cloth eared people get the message:

NOONE, BUT NOONE, NEEDS TO SLEEP ROUGH ON THE STREETS OF BRITAIN.

There ARE emergency and temporary accommodation services ready and waiting to receive these people.

But we DO as a society provide services. There are dozens of support centres in every town and city of this country where they can go to hang out, stay warm and dry, get a breakfast, lunch, evening meal, hot drink and usually essentials like sleeping bags, clothing, underwear, sanitary goods, toothbrushes/paste, deodorants and so on. Those services also help these people with adminsitrative matters such as when they get letters from their utility providers that they don't understand, or from their banks or benefits etc. Many of these people eat better than ordinary people do. They get at least 3 square meals a day (often free) in contrast to others who live in MacDonalds and fish and chip shops.

You have to stop thinking and looking at these people as "Homeless". They absolutely are not homeless at all.

They ARE addicts and they need support, long term support, to break out of that cycle. But before that can happen they have to actually want to break out of that cycle. Many don't want to.

We have a drink/drug problem, not a homeless problem.

Why did you live in a car?!

I presume you were either ignorant of available emergency/temporary accommodation or too proud to use it.
I think I've told my story so often everyone would have got it by now. But we lived in our car for about a year in 1984-5 we lost our starter home when interest rates out stripped what we could afford to pay and I'd had my second miscarriage and lost my job.

My husband didn't miss a day at work and that year we paid back all we owed on the house, but couldn't afford to rent a property too. We had an offer of accommodation but it meant we had to split up and move out of the area my husband was working in. So we stayed in the car until we could find accommodation ourselves. I got a job with a tied flat and that got us into a proper home again. Four years later council offered us this flat we live in and we jumped at the chance. Neither apart from when my husband had a stroke have we ever had benefit or missed a payment on our rent or mortgage.

We had it much easier than many because we don't drink or take addicting drugs. We also had that job that meant we didn't have to try and get work with no address which is a huge problem for many.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I disagree. People do not live on the streets because of the lack of housing. Even if they had somewhere to live they would still need to be able afford the rent and be capable of running a home

When children reach the age where they wish to move out of their parent's home, they don't say 'Mum, Dad, I'm moving out but there are no houses so I'm going to live on the street'.

People live on the streets for all sorts of sad reasons.
Good post.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 10:55 PM

But who are the real beggars ? ones sleeping in doorways or the ones riding round in carriages.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

06-01-2018, 01:53 AM

The ones riding in carriages don't beg they take courtesy of a besotted public.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top