Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:19 PM

Re: Brexit and the Automotive Industry

This is the original recording I watched from Parliament TV for those who don't have a BBC Iplayer account :

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/I...4-d204c7914db9

The Select committees are the best source of information about Brexit. They are free of all the different political angles given by the press. The committees are made up of politicians with ranging views across the political spectrum. The politicians are there to learn.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
The only people that I can see that were not ready to leave were those that did not want to
Hi

Well, we have no system in place to collect Tariffs from EU Countries and no system in place to Control Immigration from the EU.

Then we are short of the thousands of extra staff that will be required to enforce these and they have to be trained as well.

We also need to renegotiate the 40 Trade Deals we have as part of the EU, particularly the Tariff Schedules and Non Tariff Schedules.

Many of these are very old, never been digitised, hence we still have a team at WTO HQ going through boxes of old files.

We have 130,000 Companies importing from and exporting solely to the EU.

They will be required to fill in Customs Forms for the first time if we just leave.

They will also require certification documents and in the case of agricultural products, Health Certificates.

I have two export businesses registered at my house, used car parts going to the EU, I know the system, but still have not been able to find out the duties and certificates required to export to the EU if we just left.

An example, Country of Origin Certificates, a simple thing like a car door can have bits manufactured in six different Countries, so six different certificates possibly.

An Artic full of different car parts just sails through at the moment, it will be totally uneconomic to do the paperwork if we just left.

I am not opposed to Brexit, far from it.

I am however a realist, with a knowledge of the system and the way Government works.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 02:07 PM

One of the biggest problems is those who are using brexit as an excuse to do what they intended all along. A big employer here has tried to close down several times but chickened out when the employees fought back. Brexit came along and wow how fast that became the reason they could close. They haven't even really closed just moved to another county and are paying nmw instead of the £10 an hour they were paying here. Only made £48 million last year though so we have apparently to feel sorry for them.

I get that everyone wants certainty but that's not how life is, businesses have to accept sometimes the same uncertainty employees do IMO
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

I get that everyone wants certainty but that's not how life is, businesses have to accept sometimes the same uncertainty employees do IMO
Business doesn't work like the average person on the street. They go bankrupt if they have to operate in an uncertain environment where they cannot plan their finances effectively. They are not politically-motivated, but financially. You cannot judge them in the way you can judge individuals.

It would be interesting to know what industry sector the firm that moved is in. At least it is still providing employment in the UK and hasn't moved abroad as many businesses have.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Well, we have no system in place to collect Tariffs from EU Countries and no system in place to Control Immigration from the EU.

Then we are short of the thousands of extra staff that will be required to enforce these and they have to be trained as well.

We also need to renegotiate the 40 Trade Deals we have as part of the EU, particularly the Tariff Schedules and Non Tariff Schedules.

Many of these are very old, never been digitised, hence we still have a team at WTO HQ going through boxes of old files.

We have 130,000 Companies importing from and exporting solely to the EU.

They will be required to fill in Customs Forms for the first time if we just leave.

They will also require certification documents and in the case of agricultural products, Health Certificates.

I have two export businesses registered at my house, used car parts going to the EU, I know the system, but still have not been able to find out the duties and certificates required to export to the EU if we just left.

An example, Country of Origin Certificates, a simple thing like a car door can have bits manufactured in six different Countries, so six different certificates possibly.

An Artic full of different car parts just sails through at the moment, it will be totally uneconomic to do the paperwork if we just left.

I am not opposed to Brexit, far from it.

I am however a realist, with a knowledge of the system and the way Government works.
Swimfeeders, thank you for that information, I wouldnt for one moment dispute any of that. You know Far far more than I do, but I keep getting the impression that some companies and also some Government ministers etc. are using that awful word " Cant" as an excuse. I was told when I came here at 67 and still did some work , I said to my Boss that something he had asked cant be done , he said there is no such word here, everything is possible
So my words to these people is" get on with it" and stop making excuses. Not a personal gripe at you
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Instead of investing in their business companies are being forced to set aside funds to mitigate the effects of Brexit changes. This is totally inefficient.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-01-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Swimfeeders, thank you for that information, I wouldnt for one moment dispute any of that. You know Far far more than I do, but I keep getting the impression that some companies and also some Government ministers etc. are using that awful word " Cant" as an excuse. I was told when I came here at 67 and still did some work , I said to my Boss that something he had asked cant be done , he said there is no such word here, everything is possible
So my words to these people is" get on with it" and stop making excuses. Not a personal gripe at you
Everything is possible with business, but it doesn't mean staying in the UK and providing the UK with jobs and investment. Business is not human and emotional but has a heart of finance. That's why Dyson has long produced in the Far East rather than the UK.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Business doesn't work like the average person on the street. They go bankrupt if they have to operate in an uncertain environment where they cannot plan their finances effectively. They are not politically-motivated, but financially. You cannot judge them in the way you can judge individuals.

It would be interesting to know what industry sector the firm that moved is in. At least it is still providing employment in the UK and hasn't moved abroad as many businesses have.
They only go broke no usually they are personally fine its employees always suffer.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-01-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They only go broke no usually they are personally fine its employees always suffer.
People don't go into business to go broke. They will generally do everything possible to avoid this. If businesses don't want to be based in a country because the conditions are uncertain and the likelihood of profit is low, then everyone suffers.

You cannot take for granted that businesses will always want to be based here. We have to ensure the environment is good for them to stay here.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-01-2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
People don't go into business to go broke. They will generally do everything possible to avoid this. If businesses don't want to be based in a country because the conditions are uncertain and the likelihood of profit is low, then everyone suffers.

You cannot take for granted that businesses will always want to be based here. We have to ensure the environment is good for them to stay here.
And then in the real world they are in it to make a profit nothing more. All they need is to be able to do that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top