Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 10:53 AM

Re: Carillion goes to the wall !!!

I feel sorry for the thousands of employees that will suffer, Construction is a hard taskmaster, finding work in this climate will not be easy for them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The profit warnings started in August last year, so what new contracts have they had since then?

At least the Government did not bail them out and let the shareholders take the hit.

I am more concerned with the pension fund deficit and those who will lose their jobs.

They employ 43000 people .
I feel sorry for them must be a horrible situation .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 11:30 AM

Hi

The Government recently bailed oyr Vigin and another train company by allowing them to give back their contracts.

I am at a complete loss to understand why this was done, Virgin Group is loaded.

Pension funds should also be ring fenced, even the Government raid them.

Blair and Brown were experts at it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Given the series of 'profits warnings' the company has issued it was negligent and incompetent of the scumbag 'nasty party' to continue to award contracts to this company.
Gaining new contracts is life blood to companies and gives them time to solve their financial problems if possible, and let's remember that they get paid when contracts are fulfilled so hopefully the taxpayer is on a loss as yet. The company will more than likely continue trading under administrators, and with loan guarantees the banks may be able to continue support whilst the company is being restructured.

Certainly regardless of the past, the future of many public services and thousands of livelihoods depend on this company so will have to be supported somehow. Labour did it for the banks remember, so Carillion is small change comparatively...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Seems the Government may have to 'nationalise'rather more of our economy than they would want.

I wonder if they'll ever get HS2 built now???

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/01/1...ch-talks-fail/

Course they will, preparatory work has started round here.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Course they will, preparatory work has started round here.
That means nothing, I remember when my husband was working on the TSR2, which was cancelled, costing many millions and job losses.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 07:49 PM

Wondering if Carillion's demise will have a domino effect on smaller companies who were owed money ? . . . . Could be grim.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Wondering if Carillion's demise will have a domino effect on smaller companies who were owed money ? . . . . Could be grim.
You could be right there realist, Carillion employed about 19000, people, the rest are subcontractors
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 07:58 PM

The taxman is bailing them out.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Government support for small companies runs out in 48 hours but the bosses have trousered huge bonuses.
The unacceptable face of Capitalism.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42695661

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top