Join for free
Page 39 of 42 « First < 29 37 38 39 40 41 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 12:51 PM

Re: Nigel Farage

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I agree, I just opt out of such debates, I try never to be aggressive or make personal attacks, but the reaction of some members just result in unpleasant aggressive responses if one doesn't follow the herd.
I'd be grateful if you could explain who comprises 'the herd'.

I agree with some and disagree with others, and not always the same people.

There are one or two with whom I am unlikely to agree, but apart from that I do not automatically agree with some people. It depends upon what they say. If I agree with it, I say so; if I do not, I say so.

As I said before, I am the only person in my own little clique.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd be grateful if you could explain who comprises 'the herd'.

I agree with some and disagree with others, and not always the same people.

There are one or two with whom I am unlikely to agree, but apart from that I do not automatically agree with some people. It depends upon what they say. If I agree with it, I say so; if I do not, I say so.

As I said before, I am the only person in my own little clique.
I vehemently disagree with you often and agree a few times. Neither of us are part of any herd or clique IMO

There aren't many of us often on one side I am often lone voice. I just think I hold an unpopular opinion but it's mine to defend. If I'm not strong enough to do so then a forum may not be best place to be.

This thread went off course as soon as name calling started it could only end one of two ways, either everyone ignores the name caller or they defend themselves. It's a mess of clique calling either way.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't agree I'm afraid, if people are respectful and don't get angry and rude I find its fine. Just because I'm often on the lonely side of any debate I haven't ever found it cliquey in that way. Just because you may be lone voice doesn't mean forum is going to treat you badly.
Well said Julie! You and I have often been on different sides of a discussion, but I don't recall any time where we have not been polite, or even friendly with each other.

Clique seem to be the new word on here recently, but if people choose to use it they really need to understand what it means. It does not mean having a different opinion, it ,means trying to exclude others, this forum does not allow that! If people cannot politely post their opposing opinions, without using derogatory names, perhaps they are not in the right frame of mind to hold an adult discussion.

If they attach such importance to the referendum decision, maybe they should have devoted time to their discussion before the vote, as many of us did on here!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:09 PM

I know i should not but. "fixated over 50 jaw chomper." that had the tears rolling down.

Had to get the kerchief out to stop them falling into my gruel, Shakespeare eat your heart out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well said Julie! You and I have often been on different sides of a discussion, but I don't recall any time where we have not been polite, or even friendly with each other.

Clique seem to be the new word on here recently, but if people choose to use it they really need to understand what it means. It does not mean having a different opinion, it ,means trying to exclude others, this forum does not allow that! If people cannot politely post their opposing opinions, without using derogatory names, perhaps they are not in the right frame of mind to hold an adult discussion.

If they attach such importance to the referendum decision, maybe they should have devoted time to their discussion before the vote, as many of us did on here!
Indeed we have twink but I hope if we continue to listen to each other and respect each other long may that happen in conversations on here.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:16 PM

Indeed we have twink but I hope if we continue to listen to each other and respect each other long may that happen in conversations on here.
Me too, in fact I can honestly say that our civilized discussions have sometimes swayed my opinion a little. We all need to listen to each other, to get a balanced view, but I am never prepared to listen to anybody who always thinks they are right and uses unpleasant arguments to try and persuade me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-01-2018, 01:22 PM

Me too, in fact I can honestly say that our civilized discussions have sometimes swayed my opinion a little. We all need to listen to each other, to get a balanced view, but I am never prepared to listen to anybody who always thinks they are right and uses unpleasant arguments to try and persuade me.
Yes you e changed my mind on a few things too twink. That's what debate should do IMO
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

22-01-2018, 01:40 PM

Yes you e changed my mind on a few things too twink. That's what debate should do IMO
That is what debate is for Julie! The best place for rude things, on this forum, is the "Men's Corner" thread
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 01:42 PM

Clique seem to be the new word on here recently, but if people choose to use it they really need to understand what it means. It does not mean having a different opinion, it means trying to exclude others, this forum does not allow that!
Once again, Twinky, you have come up with the goods. That is an excellent description and, as you have said, that - trying to exclude others - does not happen here.

Yes, if someone says something outlandish, others will certainly argue against it and even pour scorn. But excluding others?

Admittedly, there are one or two on here (no names of course) whom I would prefer to see disappear, but it is not in my power to exclude them and, as has been said, our mods and admin very rarely do that and even then not without good reason.

I have, in fact, chosen to ignore certain people in the past, but is that 'excluding' them?

Incidentally, just to balance things out, can we have a really good argument now please?

Just as long as you don't try to exclude me from the forum!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-01-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I know i should not but. "fixated over 50 jaw chomper." that had the tears rolling down.

Had to get the kerchief out to stop them falling into my gruel, Shakespeare eat your heart out.
You can afford gruel?

You upper middle-class person, you.

Page 39 of 42 « First < 29 37 38 39 40 41 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top