Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 10:32 PM

Re: Workhouses

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Well, I actually hope not in one way. The term of treating people with disabilities of various kinds as 'special' is quite nice, but to completely amalgamate all those who are 'tagged' do also need to be recognised, as every disability is different and needs different attention.
I wonder whether you have missed my point.

My concern is that 'paraplegic', to take one example of many, might become misused by some, especially young, people when 'calling people names' in the playground, for example.

This is what happens, and the consequence is that those terms become unacceptable in polite society, requiring a new more acceptable word to be coined.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I wonder whether you have missed my point.

My concern is that 'paraplegic', to take one example of many, might become misused by some, especially young, people when 'calling people names' in the playground, for example.

This is what happens, and the consequence is that those terms become unacceptable in polite society, requiring a new more acceptable word to be coined.
Oh yes, sorry I did miss the point, although I think young people now are far more understanding now, than our generation were. Children with disabilities didn't even have a place in society. Shipped off and out of sight. It makes one cringe .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 12:01 AM

I was reading this thread and wondering why nobody has ever made a film set in one of these places. I remember reading many years ago that they had the most appalling punishments for minor transgressions, like nailing a child's ear to a bench for slacking. It was pretty much legalised slavery, but the alternative would have been starvation.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 01:09 AM

There is so much, and so far as I can see many of the workhouses treated the inmates much the same as prisoners.

Women used to pick oakum, all day, every day in the workhouses. Now I've just found out what that was . It was loose fibres from untwisting old rope. That I gather would be very consistent in the area of ports.

It is also stated that prisoners used to get hard labour, which was picking oakum !!!

As punishment women were put in the 'bridle'. You can see it here : http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/poor/bridled.shtml

I don't know if many could actually view a film of such, is that what you meant? Maybe just a film set for an attraction type of thingy ? There are such things for the slave trade so it could be possible.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 08:49 AM

Well, I actually hope not in one way. The term of treating people with disabilities of various kinds as 'special' is quite nice, but to completely amalgamate all those who are 'tagged' do also need to be recognised, as every disability is different and needs different attention.

I bet TB was rife in those places.

They also lost their vote ,once they entered the workhouse. Can't see the reason for that unless they were classed as of no use to society. It really was the end for many.
Wouldn't have thought many of them were eligible to vote anyway, people forget that the UK did not get universal suffrage until 1928.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:44 AM

There is so much, and so far as I can see many of the workhouses treated the inmates much the same as prisoners.

Women used to pick oakum, all day, every day in the workhouses. Now I've just found out what that was . It was loose fibres from untwisting old rope. That I gather would be very consistent in the area of ports.

It is also stated that prisoners used to get hard labour, which was picking oakum !!!
Why can't we have this sort of thing in our prisons?

Oh, of course. Prisoners' human rights.

As punishment women were put in the 'bridle'. You can see it here : http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/poor/bridled.shtml
Yes. My wife has one of those.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 11:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8D2lIaa008

And they were the `good times` go back to enclosure..........people starved to death. Thank you Mrs Thatcher your legacy is coming home.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top