Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 04:06 PM

Re: Free lunches during the school holidays

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
I read about this and thought it was open to abuse.

Personally I would feel really ashamed if I had to take my kids anywhere to get free food. I had the number of children I knew I could afford to feed.
You then are very fortunate that life circumstances did not force you into poverty. When my husband left, for someone younger than our daughter, I was homeless (had to sell the family home at a loss) had no job and a teenage boy to feed and clothe on Benefits. I know just how humiliating it is to have to stand in front of uncaring officials and beg for help.

Coincidentally, half an hour ago I donated to the local Foood Bank and some bed linen to the Clothes Bank after a sort out of my linen cupboard.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
You then are very fortunate that life circumstances did not force you into poverty. When my husband left, for someone younger than our daughter, I was homeless (had to sell the family home at a loss) had no job and a teenage boy to feed and clothe on Benefits. I know just how humiliating it is to have to stand in front of uncaring officials and beg for help.

Coincidentally, half an hour ago I donated to the local Foood Bank and some bed linen to the Clothes Bank after a sort out of my linen cupboard.
That's a huge problem people just can't imagine another's life, it just isn't always as easy as some have had theirs. Sounds like you did well though and survived. Can only admire that ceecee.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 05:18 PM

Its good that ,folks are doing these schemes to help those out in hard times,we also have breakfast clubs to see the kids get a good start too the day.
The lack of compassion and empathy these days astonishes me, im just glad there are some around willing to think of others.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 05:45 PM

Scares me nom, it's me me me all the time for some people.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Scares me nom, it's me me me all the time for some people.
Are you referring to the people who want everything handed to them?
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->

With all the benefits available today - child benefit, working tax credits, unemployment benefit, child tax credits, free nursery places, free school meals for small children etc etc I honestly dont believe there can be many people who cannot afford to feed their own children. I was in Tesco the other day and you could pick any 3 veg for £1!!

We were very hard up when our kids were small but we werent entitled to any benefits other than child benefit. We had to pay to send them to playgroup and nursery. We had to pay for their school meals or send in a packed lunch.

It seems to me the more people are given the more they expect.

I do give to foodbanks by the way and I take meals round to an elderly man who has no family.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
With all the benefits available today - child benefit, working tax credits, unemployment benefit, child tax credits, free nursery places, free school meals for small children etc etc I honestly dont believe there can be many people who cannot afford to feed their own children. I was in Tesco the other day and you could pick any 3 veg for £1!!

We were very hard up when our kids were small but we werent entitled to any benefits other than child benefit. We had to pay to send them to playgroup and nursery. We had to pay for their school meals or send in a packed lunch.

It seems to me the more people are given the more they expect.

I do give to foodbanks by the way and I take meals round to an elderly man who has no family.
Some people seem to think society owes them a living these days. Like you my husband and I were not well off when we first married in 1969. There was no child allowance for the first child then, our first daughter arrived 10 months after the wedding, we hadn't planned to have a child quite so soon. But we got on with it and didn't expect handouts from the state.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-03-2018, 07:53 PM

Just because I've been homeless in the past and pretty hard up all my life thankfully hasn't made me hardened to others and begrudging them getting help especially as housing is so expensive, wages so low and people have problems coping.

All those benefits amount to very little actual money in a persons hand. Child benefit just about feeds a child, just. But don't let throw feet grow you can't buy shoes too !
Housing benefit goes to landlords so again not exactly making a claimant rich. Working tax benefit I'd love to know who gets it we are on nmw or where until my husbands accident, never managed to claim it as they said we worked too many hours !

Most people pay for school meals it's a minority don't, they have to be pretty badly off to do it.

Many people who can't feed their kids are in temporary accommodation having been in that recently I can see why that happens you don't get a cooker or anywhere tp put one ! Try cooking a healthy meal over a candle !

Fuel poverty too hits some families the ones paying more for their fuel because they have to feed the meter a straight and absolutely dispicable way to make poor people poorer.

Try living in these people's shoes I can assure you it's not as easy as you think.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just because I've been homeless in the past and pretty hard up all my life thankfully hasn't made me hardened to others and begrudging them getting help especially as housing is so expensive, wages so low and people have problems coping.

All those benefits amount to very little actual money in a persons hand. Child benefit just about feeds a child, just. But don't let throw feet grow you can't buy shoes too !
Housing benefit goes to landlords so again not exactly making a claimant rich. Working tax benefit I'd love to know who gets it we are on nmw or where until my husbands accident, never managed to claim it as they said we worked too many hours !

Most people pay for school meals it's a minority don't, they have to be pretty badly off to do it.

Many people who can't feed their kids are in temporary accommodation having been in that recently I can see why that happens you don't get a cooker or anywhere tp put one ! Try cooking a healthy meal over a candle !

Fuel poverty too hits some families the ones paying more for their fuel because they have to feed the meter a straight and absolutely dispicable way to make poor people poorer.

Try living in these people's shoes I can assure you it's not as easy as you think.
Hmmmmmmmmm!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 09:08 AM

Things wern't like this free this and free that when we had young children at school, yet we managed by going without.

I tend to blame the parents not doing enough to provide for their kids. yes in extreme circumstances sure free lunches but after a strict means test first. All too often people expect to get without working for and that is the wrong attitude.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top