Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 09:13 AM

Re: Free lunches during the school holidays

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Things wern't like this free this and free that when we had young children at school, yet we managed by going without.

I tend to blame the parents not doing enough to provide for their kids. yes in extreme circumstances sure free lunches but after a strict means test first. All too often people expect to get without working for and that is the wrong attitude.
I agree, of course there are some genuinely hard up people out there and they deserve the help on offer. However, many others are in the position they are in through being feckless, and for them I have no sympathy. Their children should not be made to suffer, and in some instances it might be better to take them into care until their stupid parents get themselves sorted out.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 09:31 AM

So take all the children of feckless parents into care? Who is going to pay the costs of the support workers, accommodation, food and clothing of these kids? The tax payer, the same as now. A totally ludicrous suggestion, rehoming thousands of needy children. Some people see no further than the ends of their noses.

There is NO simple solution, certainly not by depriving children of their parents.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 09:50 AM

Benefits are not free, they are paid for by the workforce, so we can have help when we need it, Some we dont mind collecting like our pension, others we hope we never need like losing our jobs or illness.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
So take all the children of feckless parents into care? Who is going to pay the costs of the support workers, accommodation, food and clothing of these kids? The tax payer, the same as now. A totally ludicrous suggestion, rehoming thousands of needy children. Some people see no further than the ends of their noses.

There is NO simple solution, certainly not by depriving children of their parents.

It just heaps more deprivation on the kids to take their parents away, obviously some enjoy giving pain to others. We need a healthy happy childhood and if feeding kids does it IMO it's a cheap price to pay especially as most of it is happily given in charity not out of tax.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Benefits are not free, they are paid for by the workforce, so we can have help when we need it, Some we dont mind collecting like our pension, others we hope we never need like losing our jobs or illness.
Very true trouble is some have never walked in the footsteps of those in need.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just because I've been homeless in the past and pretty hard up all my life thankfully hasn't made me hardened to others and begrudging them getting help especially as housing is so expensive, wages so low and people have problems coping.

All those benefits amount to very little actual money in a persons hand. Child benefit just about feeds a child, just. But don't let throw feet grow you can't buy shoes too !
Housing benefit goes to landlords so again not exactly making a claimant rich. Working tax benefit I'd love to know who gets it we are on nmw or where until my husbands accident, never managed to claim it as they said we worked too many hours !

Most people pay for school meals it's a minority don't, they have to be pretty badly off to do it.

Many people who can't feed their kids are in temporary accommodation having been in that recently I can see why that happens you don't get a cooker or anywhere tp put one ! Try cooking a healthy meal over a candle !

Fuel poverty too hits some families the ones paying more for their fuel because they have to feed the meter a straight and absolutely dispicable way to make poor people poorer.

Try living in these people's shoes I can assure you it's not as easy as you think.

Landlords do NOT get the rent paid directly to them and they havent done for many years. It is paid direct to the tenant who then has the choice of paying the landlord, buying booze and cigarettes, spending it on holidays or buying mobile phones.

all small children now get free school meals regardless of their parents income. thats reception, year 1 and year 2.

What really gets me is some parents sit there with their hand out getting everything given to them while elderly people who have paid their taxes all their lives (and many fought for their country) are having to sell their homes to pay for their care.

That generation were proud and hated taking anything that they didnt feel they had earned or was “charity”. We were quite poor and we were eligible for free school meals because My Mum looked into it. However, my Dad wouldnt take the form to his employer because he said he was too embarrassed to let him know that he couldnt feed his own kids. We had to come home at lunchtimes and Mum made us a snack.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->

It depends on the parents, some kids would be far better off without theirs. Our eldest adopted son was damaged by the scum who were his birth parents. The social services should have removed him and his siblings much sooner than they did.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Landlords do NOT get the rent paid directly to them and they havent done for many years. It is paid direct to the tenant who then has the choice of paying the landlord, buying booze and cigarettes, spending it on holidays or buying mobile phones.

all small children now get free school meals regardless of their parents income. thats reception, year 1 and year 2.

What really gets me is some parents sit there with their hand out getting everything given to them while elderly people who have paid their taxes all their lives (and many fought for their country) are having to sell their homes to pay for their care.

That generation were proud and hated taking anything that they didnt feel they had earned or was “charity”. We were quite poor and we were eligible for free school meals because My Mum looked into it. However, my Dad wouldnt take the form to his employer because he said he was too embarrassed to let him know that he couldnt feed his own kids. We had to come home at lunchtimes and Mum made us a snack.

Wrong!!! - The scumbag 'nasty party' put a stop to that last September (??) or at least fairly recently!!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Wrong!!! - The scumbag 'nasty party' put a stop to that last September (??) or at least fairly recently!!!
Hi

UJ, I will always support those who lose out because they cannot fill the forms in correctly.

They need help, they are the most vulnerable.

I will not and cannot ever support the Prats at the back.

If they are fit enough to climb over 6 foot fences, they are fit enough to work.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Why should all small children get free meals ?
They are not all disadvanged let their parents feed them .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

26-03-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why should all small children get free meals ?
They are not all disadvanged let their parents feed them .
I agree, it was a daft idea.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top