Join for free
Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Re: Why do mammograms ...

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I would advise against Mammograms. All you are doing there is harming yourself. Firstly you are flattening breast tissue cells, increasing their surface area and then giving them a blast of radiation. .

So you want women to heed an unqualified, unprofessional, non-medical man?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 01:32 PM

Realist, as Silver Tabby said, it is kind of you to provide all the information on medical topics, but it is up to the individual to make a choice!
If they choose not to accept what you say, and follow NHS advice, they should also be allowed to do that, so can I respectfully suggest that you offer your opinions and then leave the individual to listen to other opinions and then make up their own mind.

After all, that will stop all the unnecessary arguments and, if your arguments prove to be right they cannot say "You never told me that", but if you keep pressing your ideas, and they turn out to be incorrect, you may well get people saying " I wouldn't be so ill if I hadn't listened you your advice".......
Therefore your best action would be to say what you think and then let the person concerned decide whether you are right or wrong, in their eyes!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So you want women to heed an unqualified, unprofessional, non-medical man?
No absolutely not.

I want women to undertake the research themselves and to take heed of the Cochrane Library.

Cochrane Institute

"We are a global independent network of researchers, professionals, patients, carers, and people interested in health. Cochrane contributors - 37,000 from more than 130 countries - work together to produce credible, accessible health information that is free from commercial sponsorship and other conflicts of interest.

Many of our contributors are world leaders in their fields - medicine, health policy, research methodology, or consumer advocacy - and our groups are situated in some of the world's most respected academic and medical institutions. Our work is recognized as representing an international gold standard for high quality, trusted information."

"We do not accept commercial or conflicted funding. This is vital for us to generate authoritative and reliable information, working freely, unconstrained by commercial and financial interests."

"Our work is internationally recognized as the benchmark for high-quality information about the effectiveness of health care."

Just so readers here are clear on your stance, are you suggesting that women ignore the peer reviewed research from the most internationally respected medical research body in the world?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Right. But what we CAN do is strenuously advise women to do full and thorough research of their own before going down any specific route. The medical industry is very clearly not interested in giving people alternative options. It follows a prescribed course of actions handed down to them from above.
What are your medical qualifications?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
if you keep pressing your ideas, and they turn out to be incorrect, you may well get people saying " I wouldn't be so ill if I hadn't listened you your advice".......
I don't post "ideas" Twink nor do I post what I "think".

As I have mentioned numerous time before, what people "think" or "suspect" or have witnessed themselves is of absolutely ZERO MERIT in discussions of this nature. It amounts to anecdotal commentary which is meaningless.

What counts, indeed the only thing that counts, is real professional studies and research conducted by reputable institutions who will not allow Big Pharma funding and back-handers to influence and bias the results.

As ever a small and insignificant group of posters are keen to poo poo the messenger here rather than take any time to conduct the research and look at the links. Such heads and minds are stubbornly closed and consequently will learn little and whilst it is their prerogative to live life with such blinkers on, it most certainly does not give them any right to put down or disparage anyone else who diligently provides the peer reviewed information that people need to conduct their research.

Bottom line. I don't need to be a doctor, I don't need to be qualified in any way shape or form, in order to put up and set out the scientific data on the topic being discussed.

If you disagree with the data take it up with the professionals who conducted and produced it. Of course none of you will.

If you believe that irradiating peoples' bodies is a good thing, if you believe that Mammograms are not woefully inaccurate and if you believe that Mammograms don't result in many women having to go through treatment completely unnecessarily then good luck to you, you pay your money and takes your chance.

However unless you're going to put up credible scientific research and studies that paint a differing picture then you can't expect anyone to assign any credence to your otherwise anecdotal view points.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

17-06-2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
What are your medical qualifications?
The qualification of the peer reviewed data providers I have posted above.

"Many of our contributors are world leaders in their fields - medicine, health policy, research methodology, or consumer advocacy - and our groups are situated in some of the world's most respected academic and medical institutions. Our work is recognized as representing an international gold standard for high quality, trusted information."

Do you dispute their qualifications? Or indeed the results of their studies ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

17-06-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
there is no alternative available to me in my home town. Simple as that.
Hi Tabby, I don't know where you live nor even if you are in the UK or USA.

However there are clinics all over that can offer you Thermographic scans as an alternative to irradiating Mammograms.

In the UK for example there is this company (and many others):

https://medscans.co.uk/clinic-locator/

Put your postcode in and set the search radius to 1000 miles and it will show you everything in the UK.

If it's important enough to you then travelling to another town or city shouldn't be an issue TBH.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 02:46 PM

No absolutely not.

I want women to undertake the research themselves and to take heed of the Cochrane Library.

Cochrane Institute

"We are a global independent network of researchers, professionals, patients, carers, and people interested in health. Cochrane contributors - 37,000 from more than 130 countries - work together to produce credible, accessible health information that is free from commercial sponsorship and other conflicts of interest.

Many of our contributors are world leaders in their fields - medicine, health policy, research methodology, or consumer advocacy - and our groups are situated in some of the world's most respected academic and medical institutions. Our work is recognized as representing an international gold standard for high quality, trusted information."

"We do not accept commercial or conflicted funding. This is vital for us to generate authoritative and reliable information, working freely, unconstrained by commercial and financial interests."

"Our work is internationally recognized as the benchmark for high-quality information about the effectiveness of health care."

Just so readers here are clear on your stance, are you suggesting that women ignore the peer reviewed research from the most internationally respected medical research body in the world?
No I am suggesting that I do not trust the Cochrane Institute as much as you seem to do.
They are non profit making, so if they make a mistake who can you sue? Don't forget that medical disasters leave people with awful problems, so they need money to provide help or care.
Healthcare would not exist if businesses hadn't invested millions of pounds into research, and it seems that the Cochrane Institute use that research to try and find a better way. If you truly believe that they have done that, perhaps your time would be better used writing to the NHS to advise where they are going wrong and how much money they can save, rather than trying to convince a few pensioners on forums!
As I have already said, anybody that wants to listen to what you say, is welcome to do so, but the best move for the rest of us is to put your posts on ignore.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Twink
As I have already said, anybody that wants to listen to what you say, is welcome to do so, but the best move for the rest of us is to put your posts on ignore.
Of course that's your perogative, Twink, but when you speak for "the rest of us" you may be rushing to the wrong conclusion.
It's important not to let personalities get in the way here.

At worst R's posts are over long, and some find his style irritating, but at best they lead you to question things, which is always good, and to do more reading and research, again always a good thing.

I've been reading this, which is well worth reading thoroughly, and it appears that probably the thermal versus mammogram question has much to do with ones age...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/316632.php
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

17-06-2018, 03:13 PM

No I am suggesting that I do not trust the Cochrane Institute as much as you seem to do.
They are non profit making, so if they make a mistake who can you sue? Don't forget that medical disasters leave people with awful problems, so they need money to provide help or care.
Just a pile of nonsense sorry. You're floundering and grasping at straws. Cochrane IS the most internationally respected authority on medical research and associated protocols. You're dismissing it because as I said earlier, you have not one shred of opposing peer reviewed evidence to support your otherwise anecdotal view points.

Healthcare would not exist if businesses hadn't invested millions of pounds into research, and it seems that the Cochrane Institute use that research to try and find a better way.
Cochrane are independent and fiercely so. They exist to provide the highest standards for research and study in the medical field. Thus they have established how the world needs to conduct actual studies so that they are fair, un-biased and can't be swayed by powerful financial funders without such interventions being exposed.

If Cochrane tell us, after having conducted and/or reviewed 1000s of studies involving millions of people that Flu Vaccines are utterly useless, then you can take that to the bank so to speak. It's peer reviewed and highly respected data . Similarly if they tell us that after due study, Mammograms are harmful and largely useless as a test for breast cancers, then equally we would be rather belligerent and foolish to ignore that information.

If you truly believe that they have done that, perhaps your time would be better used writing to the NHS to advise where they are going wrong and how much money they can save, rather than trying to convince a few pensioners on forums!
You still don't understand how the system now works. The NHS (and the powerful corporations behind them) are making £millions if not £billions from all these treatments and the sale of associated drugs. It's not in their interest to stop such treatments just as it is not in their financial interest to stop pushing snake oil Flu Vaccinations.
What you are suggesting is akin to writing to the tobacco manufacturers to suggest that they might want to start producing a non-addictive and healthy product. Just laughable.

Honestly, if you're determined to keep making comments in these kind of threads and want them to have an credence, you need to actually do some research and post up the links to professional sites that support your points. That's how debate works.

Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top