Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 07:58 PM

Cactus plant identification

Many years ago I had a huge green succulent houseplant, very similar to a Christmas Cactus. The flowers were bright red, very long and absolutely magnificant - people would stand on the pavement and stare at it. I kept it in an unheated porch, so it was tolerant to very high and very low temperatures. It was also absolutely covered in extremely sharp spikes...........which is why it was left in the house when I bought it and left there when I sold it.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2014, 09:41 AM

Re: Cactus plant identification

Sounds like a Triffid Lindy.

Sounds like a kind of Christmas cactus with the flowers and spikes.
Think the Christmas Cactus we get nowadays might have been
bred not to have spikes so maybe yours was.
Have you a photo of it for us to look at?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2014, 12:00 PM

You could try putting the description in google images and see what comes up ..I like some of the cactus plants the flowers are very pretty and like the Christmas plant it flowers for a long time.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2014, 12:25 PM

Like this:

Definitely a cactus and very spikey though a snail (now deceased) had a nice meal of it a few nights ago.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Like this:

Definitely a cactus and very spikey though a snail (now deceased) had a nice meal of it a few nights ago.
No - that's a dessert cactus. The one I'm thinking of is very definitely like a Christmas Cactus with dark green succulent leaves in a weeping fall and red flowers which get longer and longer............... If I had the choice, I would prefer not to have spikes but a prolific flower producer and tolerent to intense heat and below freezing temperatures.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Christmas cactus is a pink flower and Easter cactus has similar flowers but in red.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top