Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Tasty Gingerbread Treats For Your Dog!

Got a really nice recipe for doggy treats which I made yesterday. (I even had one myself! ) if it's good enough for me it's good enough for my two terrors. They wolfed their treat. I am going to give them a couple each before our next car journey to the caravan next week, as quite a few people have recommended Ginger as a preventative for motion sickness. They will last for one week in the fridge or two months in the freezer.
If your dog has to have gluten-free then replace the Whole Wheat Flour with Brown Rice, Coconut, Almond or Oat Flour instead. Each Doggy Treat is 10% of their daily diet.

Sorry, haven't got the recipe for grams or ounces as use the cup measuring utensils I have.

2 x cups of Whole Wheat Flour
1 x Tablespoon ground Ginger
2 x Teaspoons Cinnamon
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup of Water
1/4 cup of Honey

Preheat the oven to 325F/170C/Gas 3.

Whisk together the Flour, Cinnamon and Ginger in a large bowl.
Melt the Coconut Oil in the microwave for 30 seconds
Mix the melted Oil, Water and Honey into the Flour mixture until well combined.
Place the dough into the fridge for 20 minutes to chill.
Roll it out on a floured surface until 1/2 inch thick.
Cut out shapes with any cookie cutter or use a cup or mug to make the shapes.
Place on a baking tray sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with parchment.
Bake for approx 16-18 minutes.
Allow to cool completely.
(They smell lovely while baking).

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOGGY TREATS GINGERBREAD.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	3740  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 02:22 PM

Re: Tasty Gingerbread Treats For Your Dog!

They look nice Shroppy, but may I just say go easy on the ginger. There is a rough guide below.

There was a thread on the Pets thread a couple of weeks back with some other nice recipes too. Did you try any?

Sunday is my dog treat baking day, I make enough treats for all five little rogues to last till the next Sunday.
I shall be doing them some fish ones tomorrow.

Cautions
Ginger can thin the blood, so avoid it if your dog will be undergoing surgery or if she will be going into labor. It may also lower blood sugar and blood pressure, so talk to your vet if your dog has diabetes or has any kind of heart condition. Also consult with your vet if your dog is pregnant, on any medications or is being treated for a condition.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Hi Mups, thanks for that advice. My two little terrors come under the second weight chart spot. They are only allowed one in the morning and same in the evening, so think that should be okay. I got the original recipe from twolittlecavaliers.com.
Thankfully, they are two little 13-month-old brothers so no worries about pregnancy. Valuable tip though for others.

I was more worried about me when you said it is a blood thinner. I ate one and I'm already on Warfarin!! LOL.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 11:39 AM

OK Shrops. As I said, they are probably fine, just don't overdo the ginger when you're making them, that's all.

Just about to start baking for my lot now.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 04:19 PM

Shropshire girl, what lucky doggies you have! Your treats look delicious and I love the cookie cutter shapes you used.

You now have me rooting around the pantry to see which of these ingredients I have on hand....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-08-2017, 05:32 PM

Hi Surfermom, if you want to do even more baking, there are more dog treat recipes on the Pets thread, if you go back to 4th August.

Today I have made some fish treats plus Cass's recipe with the honey in.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top