Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 07:11 PM

Re: Claim Your UK State Pension Early

I'd be in a terrible financial pickle if I hadn't have got savings, to supplement my occy pension. True, it was my decision to take that voluntary redundancy in December 2003, but my health and sanity would have suffered, had I stayed employed with the Bank.

But since the NHS thought better of giving me any temporary bookings until I gave in and resigned, I had no other income and have had to trickle feed from the savings to keep my head above water.

I was prudent, and have managed my finances well. But could not find any paid employment or anything paying more than say £7 an hour! After tax I'd have ended up with about £4-5. Shocking situation here in London.

I can see though how Steve finds it difficult to find work.

So I have had that gap between paid employment and State Pension. Only about 5-6 weeks to go. Yaaaaay!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I can see though how Steve finds it difficult to find work.
So I have had that gap between paid employment and State Pension. Only about 5-6 weeks to go. Yaaaaay!
stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 07:42 PM

£7 an hour seems a while ago I think that was what we (husband and I ) were on about 4 years ago dribbled down to £6.50 now so will I guess be getting raises in line with NMW from now on.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 07:43 PM

My work pension is about £330 a month,my wife passed away without life assurance and her pension fund was with Equitable life(whoops).

Thank goodness I saved a bit during the good times.

I downsized and now cut my cloth accordingly-yes I lend/give a bit to close friends but I live a rather frugal life otherwise.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 02:12 PM

I'm now looking into a PIP - Personal Independence Payment - because the RDA suggested it to me so I asked and they said I can apply.

It's not a Means Tested Benefit, in fact it's not actually a Benefit in the normally understood scheme of things as it's a bit like the Winter Fuel Allowance in some ways.

I qualify so I'm applying.

Age UK have offered to assist me too; they actually said I should have applied for DLA a long time ago but I was misinformed before.

It's an Entitlement for those with long-term disabilities that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

Apparently I may have to be assessed by an ATOS "a health professional" but there's a new centre in MK now.
stevmk2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 02:18 PM

That all sounds very positive Steve
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 05:45 PM

It's not so easy as that Stev, I know as I have only got 25% of my hearing and have failed twice and that was under the old system of testing which was much fairer than the ATOS system of today. Before you get your hopes up too high, read the link below and check with your audiology department as it seems that hearing loss is not deemed as a serious disability.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...curity-grants-
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 06:06 PM

Steve I will be 66 and 8 months before I get my Pension, also cannot get a Bus Pass until I am 66, which I don't think is fair at all.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

28-02-2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
It's not so easy as that Stev, I know as I have only got 25% of my hearing and have failed twice and that was under the old system of testing which was much fairer than the ATOS system of today. Before you get your hopes up too high, read the link below and check with your audiology department as it seems that hearing loss is not deemed as a serious disability.
http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...curity-grants-
I have 5% hearing in my left ear and about 8 - 10% in my right ear now wishbone-mate.

If anything I'm a pessimist by nature so I do not expect anything from anyone, least of all ATOS, who I already know from bitter experiences at the Joke Shop - sorry - JobCentrePlus as it was laughingly called.

I have been promised back-up by the RDA and Age UK have also said they'll help if get a knock-back - I probably will I've already been told by someone at ATOS that I used to work with in MK - I worked for the FCO and so did she!

The thing is ATOS invariably knock back 60% of claims - probably as a requirement of Our Dave's Caring Coalition - so I know that much and so do many of the organisations tasked with helping claimants and - hopefully - those trying to prevent mass-bloody-suicides of disabled claimants with nowhere to turn to. stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 07:00 PM

Good luck Steve. Hope you can manage to get something.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top