Join for free
Page 10 of 190 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Another great entry Robert
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 02:48 PM

Good to hear that you're in fine form and the wind was no match for you today, weather is the same here. Have a good Sunday afternoon!
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 03:27 PM

That's me had my exercise for today then, I felt the cold wind on that run
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry Bird, I was being a bit presumtuous. After a life running and walking around the hills and moors of Britain 'Trig Points' have featured 'high' [no pun intended] on my list of favourite objects visited on my adventures.
One reason they are a favourite is the fact that when you see one it means the climbing is over and you have reached the top. You have probably found some info on them, so I will not bore you with the science, but they will soon be a thing of the past as Lasers have taken over their job and I imagine they will be left to decay. So before they do, I will visit as many as I can before I finally decay.
Although I do not posses a photographic record of all the Trig Points I have visited over the years, I have got a few. I am in the process of collecting them all together and placing them in my album on Over50sForum.
I also had a look at the Ordnance Survey site [the people who were responsible for the placement of all the Trig Points] and even I learned something more about them. For example:- There are 6557 Trig Points in the UK, so I had better get my skates on.....
Thanks for explaining about the Trig Points OGF, I don't think I'm ever likely to see one !!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Freshfields ->
Bird, some of us find his legs more interesting than the trig points
Don't we all FF !!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 09:40 PM

Thanks Bird and Freshfields for your compliments.
Bird, not all trig points are hard to reach, they are usually placed on the highest point, but it's not always at the top of a steep climb. Rolling countryside can hide an easy to access trig point. So don't despair, I'll have a look and see if there are any in your area. But remember! having discovered one, there would be the obligatory photograph.......
Val J
East Yorkshire

02-03-2015, 03:22 PM

That would be great thanks OGF, I wonder if there might be any round the Flamborough area. Must remember to take me camera !!
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 03:26 PM

You are still taunting us with those legs OGF, I can still see the calendar being feasible yet LOL
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 04:24 PM

So descriptive Mr Fox, no need for us to walk the walk...or run, when you write so well!

Didn't they used to build cairns on the high points? was that before trig points? or something else altogether?

Naughty Ff.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 10:29 PM

Anzac,Thanks for your compliments, and glad you are enjoying my writing.
I try to keep it fresh and interesting.
Cairns are often placed on high points but mainly to mark out a route and as an aid to navigation. They would sometimes identify a particular spot or as a memorial.
They would be built by anyone passing that way, and each time a walker would pass by, they would add another few stones, so some cairns are very large indeed.
Triangulation Pillars [Trig Points] were constructed by Ordnance Survey specifically to map the country. An instrument similar to a 'theodolite' would be placed on a special fitting on top of every Trig Point, and was used to calculate distance and height. This has since been replaced by Lasers.

Bird, Thanks for your interest in Trig Points. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate one in the Flamborough area; However, I have successfully located one North of Scarborough at grid Ref SE990966 should your map reading be a little rusty you will find it thus:- Take the Whitby road [A171] North out of Scarborough, pass through Cloughton, and after passing Cloughton woods on the left, you will arrive at a left turn [about two miles out of Cloughton] Take the left turn and stop immediately. Inside the small triangle made by the two roads you will find the Trig Point. Good hunting....

Page 10 of 190 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top