Join for free
Page 7 of 21 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 04:53 PM

Re: Benefits Britain!

Originally Posted by Steveo ->
the number of people with 8 kids is quite small

a lot of working people get housing benefit because wages are so low

we're subsidising employers
You are right both housing benefit and working tax credits etc all subsidise wages, big business makes enough to pay proper wages IMO
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Steveo ->
the number of people with 8 kids is quite small

a lot of working people get housing benefit because wages are so low

we're subsidising employers
Very true. Not only that, but the Government have shot themselves in the foot twice. As well as effectively subsidising employers by having to pay benefits to top up wages, the wages themselves are so low that the Government isn't getting enough taxes from the wages to help with Government revenue. That's why every Government that gets into power is having to make desperate cutbacks.

The underlying problem is, of course, that The Minimum Wage has also become the Maximum Wage for a lot of people. It's a "Yes Minister" policy cock-up come to life.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Genuine people suffer for the likes of these scroungers. My mate's girlfriend has 3 children and lives in a big house provided by the council. Prior to where she lives now she had a brand new smaller house again provided for free. She never used to pay her phone bill, electricity bill etc and apparently she owed £1000s. Didn't bother her one bit as it is illegal to deprive the children of certain essentials. Her bills were quashed. Now she has a much larger house as she fell out with the neighbours where she was originally. Different boyfriend now but same old story. Apparently she would put ALL the lights on in all the rooms - TV on etc - and not turn them off ever. The next door neighbours, where she is now, complained as it was so bright and kept them awake at night. She just doesn't give a toss about things that would worry others to death.

Funny thing about the above is that she seems a nice enough woman and so are the kids - go figure.
Good for her, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with all that stuff in my head. So long as the children are getting looked after, but I couldn't just waste electricity for the sake of it if I couldn't even make a contribution towards it. She's taking the piss.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 10:12 PM

along with a million others
anneishere
New Member!
London
anneishere is female 

27-12-2014, 08:30 PM

I think I have given up thinking too much about benefits now as it gives me the grumps lol. I have worked all my life, paid my tax, insurance etc etc and I was hoping to retire at 60 but I must continue working until my health dictates otherwise - I do not get any state pension anyway until I am 65 - so I got to work until then. But, I will continue working pass 65 if I can, as I don't think all that money I paid into my state pension over all these years is going to be much at all. I do often wonder would I have been better off not working and just sponging off the country - but then others would argue and say I am very lucky to have a job. So, whats to be is to be - I just enjoy my days now as much as I can because there is absolutely nothing I can do with how this country is run.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 08:38 PM

If you sat and thought about all the things you'd like to change in this country, you'd go mad!!
I just live in my own little world - safer that way, I retain my sanity!!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
If you sat and thought about all the things you'd like to change in this country, you'd go mad!!
I just live in my own little world - safer that way, I retain my sanity!!
Too true Cranberry. We'd only want to change it to suit ourselves and goodness knows what it'd end up like when we all put our tuppenceworth in
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

01-03-2015, 03:48 PM

I think I'm feeling a bit ashamed of myself, but I came home today to a letter saying my rent has increased by £11 a month. No doubt the Council Tax will be the same. £11 may not be a lot to some, but I haven't had a wage increase in a few years now. For the first time, I had a rant about it. About how some drug takers are sitting, rent, council tax, grass cutting, everything else paid for. I have always been caring towards them, but I just feel they definitely get a better deal. I never thought I'd say it. Mainly because I just feel that I'm being penalised for working. Most of my salary goes on rent and council tax. If I qualify for a single person's council tax, then I'll probably be chucked out of my two bedroomed flat. I have three sons, who it's nice to have one, two or three of them here sometimes. I love it here. I just feel it's so unfair.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I think I'm feeling a bit ashamed of myself, but I came home today to a letter saying my rent has increased by £11 a month. No doubt the Council Tax will be the same. £11 may not be a lot to some, but I haven't had a wage increase in a few years now. For the first time, I had a rant about it. About how some drug takers are sitting, rent, council tax, grass cutting, everything else paid for. I have always been caring towards them, but I just feel they definitely get a better deal. I never thought I'd say it. Mainly because I just feel that I'm being penalised for working. Most of my salary goes on rent and council tax. If I qualify for a single person's council tax, then I'll probably be chucked out of my two bedroomed flat. I have three sons, who it's nice to have one, two or three of them here sometimes. I love it here. I just feel it's so unfair.
Nothing to feel ashamed about Alice however I would blame the lack of wage rises not the people doing better. I too haven't had a pay rise in 8 years now having actually hit NMW mine will go up in line with that, but I don't blame anyone but my boss who is currently on his 3rd week in grand canaria and apparently having a lovely time.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

01-03-2015, 04:08 PM

I'm just trying to carve a nice life for myself. In a place I didn't think I'd ever be. Single earner. Work and pay for everything %100. Not the best of wages, but a wage nonetheless. Its just very annoying.

Page 7 of 21 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top