Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 11:01 AM

Re: Light bulbs

If you go to one of the DIY sheds and look at the light bulb section, there are hundreds of different types. So confusing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I’ve started buying the LED bulbs but get confused on which ones to buy to replace the old 100w ones now
Forget Wattage now Mags, think in terms of 'Lumens' it should be present on most of the packaging. A thousand or over will be very bright and usually replaces the old 100watt spotlights and floodlit areas, 850 Lumens or less is suitable for wall lights and subdued lighting but it's a case of trial and error. Once you get used to what light you get from how many Lumens it becomes relatively easy to select replacement bulbs for various locations first time round.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Between 16 and 20 Watts LED should be equivalent to 100 Watts incandescent.
Just google it. The info is out there.

I just wish they'd print it on the packaging.
They do but it's so dark in my house I can't see it.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They do but it's so dark in my house I can't see it.
Have you heard of torches/flashlights or perhaps getting your eyes checked?
No, probably nothing wrong with your eyes. Just release the blinds.There'll be so many new sights to feast your eyes upon.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

06-11-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Have you heard of torches/flashlights or perhaps getting your eyes checked?
No, probably nothing wrong with your eyes. Just release the blinds.There'll be so many new sights to feast your eyes upon.
just realised I had my sunglasses on.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 03:37 PM

Since replacing all the bulbs in our bungalow we haven't had any failures at all. Previously the bulbs in the wall lights were always failing. Hardly a month went by when we weren't having the bother of changing the blooming things.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Forget Wattage now Mags, think in terms of 'Lumens' it should be present on most of the packaging. A thousand or over will be very bright and usually replaces the old 100watt spotlights and floodlit areas, 850 Lumens or less is suitable for wall lights and subdued lighting but it's a case of trial and error. Once you get used to what light you get from how many Lumens it becomes relatively easy to select replacement bulbs for various locations first time round.....
Thanks Bob, again useful info
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 08:25 AM

Compact fluorescent lamps as shown in the OP can also be a fire risk, I know of a couple of serious stable fires caused by them.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ent-lamps.html
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Newcomer ->
Since replacing all the bulbs in our bungalow we haven't had any failures at all. Previously the bulbs in the wall lights were always failing. Hardly a month went by when we weren't having the bother of changing the blooming things.
Just go to bed earlier, and wait for next spring.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Compact fluorescent lamps as shown in the OP can also be a fire risk, I know of a couple of serious stable fires caused by them.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ent-lamps.html
I have noticed the colour change on the base of the globe last time one failed. Now I know why.
I'm looking forward to the next one giving up the ghost so I can do a few experiments. But I think it's gonna be LEDs for the immediate future as far as I'm concerned.
And I'll keep wondering what kind of lighting they'll come up with next.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top