Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 07:30 AM

Winter Solstice

Daylight gets longer from today....Hooray...roll on Spring
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 07:36 AM

Re: Winter Solstice

I look forward to Spring at this time of year; still, it seems a long time 'til Easter.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->

Yeah - all of 4 1/2 minutes - tomorrow!!!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 09:08 AM

The days will get longer, and here, they'll get colder.
Going back into hibernation!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Happy Yule.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 09:23 AM

Yes indeed, the Winter Solstice is today, occurring at 16.28 pip emma GMT all over Northern Hemisphere. The long nights and dark days will be banished, and after that we can look forward to Spring and the Return of the Light.

Using the most advanced technology available at the time, (half burying a 20 tonne rock in the ground and tracking the sun's shadow), our ancestors concluded that the sun's orbit in the sky stood still for twelve days.

This was a time when they cut mistletoe and holly, (which is where the winter song, Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly came from) and put it around the home or gave to friends and family.
A time to put candles and lanterns in trees to ward off evil, even bringing trees indoors and decorating them with lights.
A time when there wasn't enough fodder to keep all their animals through Winter, so there would be feasting to use up what wouldn't keep.
A time to be with family and friends, and to celebrate the feast of Yule during the Twelve Days of Solstice.
Wassail carols would be sung as people would travel from house to house in the village bringing good wishes in return for a small gratuity.

Any similarities between this and any other winter celebration is purely coincidental.

Today is an important day in the Pagan and Wiccan calendars.

My favourite lines from the Wiccan Rede.

Merry meet and merry part,
Bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Happy Yule everybody.

Other belief systems are available, and whatever they are, enjoy yourselves during this ancient festive season.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Now that is something worth celebrating...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 10:25 AM

I look forward to today more than I do Christmas. I always feel there's not too long to go now till the lighter nights/mornings are noticeable.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Yes indeed, the Winter Solstice is today, occurring at 16.28 pip emma GMT all over Northern Hemisphere. The long nights and dark days will be banished, and after that we can look forward to Spring and the Return of the Light.

Using the most advanced technology available at the time, (half burying a 20 tonne rock in the ground and tracking the sun's shadow), our ancestors concluded that the sun's orbit in the sky stood still for twelve days.

Happy Yule everybody.

Other belief systems are available, and whatever they are, enjoy yourselves during this ancient festive season.
Very interesting Fruitcake, especially the bit about the Sun's orbit. Being an early riser I always thought that I hadn't noticed any difference in daylight hours from the 21st of December until at least halfway through January, and checking in my brand new 2018 diary I can see that in the last week in December the sun only rises earlier by two minutes per week! This is followed by four minutes per week from the 6th to the 13th of January and six minutes per week from the 13th to the 20th. So it looks like our early ancestors were right, because the small increments that the shadow would indicate was too small to be measured.....

I noticed that in March the Suns arrival is earlier by a massive sixteen minutes a week, before it slows down again in May and June. The end of September and the beginning of October we again see major changes of thirteen minutes per week until it finally slows down during November and December to start all over again......You have sparked my imagination Fruitcake and I can feel a graph coming on.....
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yeah - all of 4 1/2 minutes - tomorrow!!!
No, a couple of seconds tomorrow before slowly increasing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top