Join for free
Page 4 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 03:16 PM

Re: The Irish Border Problem

Hi

The view from Sinn Fein.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/47425

They are dictating to us about the Border.

They cannot have it both ways.

The UK has the upper hand here, tell your Irish PM to stop threatening to veto the negotiations or this is exactly what you will get.

It will totally destroy your economy, so naff off.

We will also take your prawn fishing grounds off you, they will be in UK Waters and we would rather license the Chinese to fish them than you.

Two can play hardball and in this instance, we hold all the cards Ireland.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
If there was a united Ireland there would be no border. Problem solved!!!
Hi

Fantasy land again UJ.

80% of Ireland's trade with the EU comes by road across the UK.

We just say no, tariffs on all of it payable on entry to the UK.

Irish Cheese, butter and beef would be immediately priced out of the market, even that going onwards to the EU.

The Irish fishing Industry would be totally devastated, they would have to send them the long way round, which means frozen, not fresh, worth much less.

60% of Irish fish exports come from the UK waters, no fishing allowed, naff off.

The list is endless.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Fantasy land again UJ.

80% of Ireland's trade with the EU comes by road across the UK.

We just say no, tariffs on all of it payable on entry to the UK.

Irish Cheese, butter and beef would be immediately priced out of the market, even that going onwards to the EU.

The Irish fishing Industry would be totally devastated, they would have to send them the long way round, which means frozen, not fresh, worth much less.

60% of Irish fish exports come from the UK waters, no fishing allowed, naff off.

The list is endless.

The uk government haven't even got a bloody rowing boat to police it!!!

And as for exports, crossing the border into Northern Ireland is not all that efficient if the produce is heading to the EU, since Eire possesses excellent deep harbours, exports to the EU can very easily be shipped into France, Spain, Belgium, Holland or Germany.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-12-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
The uk government haven't even got a bloody rowing boat to police it!!!

And as for exports, crossing the border into Northern Ireland is not all that efficient if the produce is heading to the EU, since Eire possesses excellent deep harbours, exports to the EU can very easily be shipped into France, Spain, Belgium, Holland or Germany.
Hi

If that is the case, why are Sinn Fein so worried about it?

I will tell you why.

Shipping the long way round adds 20% to the costs, that is why 80% comes through the UK by road.

The UK is also the biggest market for Irish Agricultural Products, 50 % tariffs on beef, 30% on dairy will absolutely stuff them.

Two thirds of Irish fish exports are caught in UK waters, we just ban them from fishing in our waters.

That is the reality of life, time it was explained to them, we are not having the tail wagging the dog.

When we leave, there will be no loophole for Amazon and co to funnel their profits through Ireland and avoid paying Tax here in the UK.

That is another few Billion for us.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 04:38 PM

Good posts Swims.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Seems to me the best opportunity to reunite Ireland - get rid of a constant thorn in Britain's side and a land border with the EU all in one go.

I suspect that is too obvious and too easy for it to actually happen
That would be my solution too.

However, the majority of the inhabitants of NI want to remain British for obvious reasons, so we can't cast them adrift.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Surely, if the quality of life inside the EU will be so much better than that in the UK, as commonly reported, the migrants will want to settle in the EU - not move to the UK.
But they won't get so many generous handouts in the EU.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 06:52 PM

OK have not read any posts on this thread.

But would like to point before we enter the EU there were no boarder controls between the Irish Free State and the UK.

So lets go back to these simple times.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-12-2017, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
OK have not read any posts on this thread.

But would like to point before we enter the EU there were no boarder controls between the Irish Free State and the UK.

So lets go back to these simple times.
We can't...

unless, of course, the Irish decide to follow us to freedom!

I believe they did vote on 'Irexit' some years ago, but the EU forced them to keep on voting until they voted to remain!
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 08:43 PM

I live in Ireland and just felt I had to respond to some of the stuff I'm reading here. I think, with the greatest respect, that people fail to understand the situation. It's comes across from the posts that the Irish are cheeky upstarts who need to be shown a lesson. It's sad that people feel this way. We are reasonable people, just like yourselves, trying to do the best we can, and with Brexit, deal with a situation that we did not want or need. I know I know, people say here that Irish trade is predominately with the UK. But they fail to understand that it works both ways. The Irish Republic is the 5th biggest export market for the the UK. That's not a typo, I did say the 5th biggest export market for the UK. I wish people didn't try and make it a case of trying to be better than anyone else, or of knowing more than anyone else. It's about respect. Thank-you.

Page 4 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top