Join for free
Page 193 of 274 « First < 93 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 203 243 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 02:16 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

No.123: “Poetic Champions Compose” by Van Morrison (1987)
More Van too in the shape of this beautifully made album full of tinkling keys, flowing saxophone and warm, soulful vocals.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 02:17 PM

No.122: “But Seriously, Folks” by Joe Walsh (1978)
Newly-joined eccentric Eagle Walsh had been around over a decade making his own solo albums, plus those with The James Gang before he released this excellent record. Very Jimmy Buffett-styled in its ‘country-rock for the beach’ attitude to recording, this featured the classic autobiographical track ‘Life’s Been Good’, posted here as a 2012 rendition with The Eagles.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-04-2018, 02:21 PM

No.121: “Stranger In Town” by Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band (1978)
And yet another legendary songwriter. Ffosse is gonna love all these today! This is my favourite Bob Seger album (so it’s the last in the list), the first I bought after hearing the massive hits ‘Hollywood Nights’ and ‘We’ve Got Tonight’, plus the gambler’s favourite ‘Still The Same’ and one of the most-played songs on American radio ever ‘Old-Time Rock And Roll’. Even after all those classics, there were still many more wonderful songs on this masterpiece. Couple of videos from San Diego in ’78, plus a 2014 duet with Bruce Springsteen on that massive jukebox hit mentioned earlier.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-04-2018, 02:22 PM

No.120: “The Road To Hell” by Chris Rea (1989)
And we are ending today with this further great songsmith Chris Rea, with his most famous album. The big, big single (in full-length form here), plus one of the most heart-wrenching ‘ballads’ ever committed to tape in ‘Tell Me There’s A Heaven’. That’s not it for the man though as there are still another two Rea classics to come.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-04-2018, 02:23 PM

No.119: “The Velvet Underground & Nico” by The Velvet Underground (1967)
An absolute landmark of an album and one which is arguable the most influential record of all time for alternative music. No singles, no hits, no airplay at the time but one hell of an ‘underground’ following, this dark and seedy Andy Warhol-managed New York City band consisting of Lou Reed, John Cale, Sterling Morrison and Mo Tucker plus guest vocalist Nico were to unleash a future classic with this.
Below are the remarkable songs in video form for the very disturbing ‘Venus In Furs’ and ‘Heroin’, plus a 1967 interview with Lou Reed.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-04-2018, 02:24 PM

I’ll finish with this one today…

No.118: “Atom Heart Mother” by Pink Floyd (1970)
Following the double part-live ‘experiment’ that was Ummagumma and the soundtrack to the film ‘More’, Pink Floyd laid down what is rightly thought as their foundations for their onslaught of the 1970’s and the untold wonderful music that was to co-habit that decade. The first record to set the scene was this sprawling epic which is still a “first generation” fans’ favourite. The side-long instrumental title track featuring orchestral arrangements, the very strange ‘Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast’ equally as lengthy plus a couple of shorter ditties in ‘Fat Old Sun’ (which David Gilmour reprised on his return visit to Pompeii last year), and the lovely reflective ballad ‘If’. Below are two live songs from the record, plus a 51-minute montage of some early stuff circa 1970-1972.

Back tomorrow night with a storming live set from The Who
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
No.122: “But Seriously, Folks” by Joe Walsh (1978)
Newly-joined eccentric Eagle Walsh had been around over a decade making his own solo albums, plus those with The James Gang before he released this excellent record. Very Jimmy Buffett-styled in its ‘country-rock for the beach’ attitude to recording, this featured the classic autobiographical track ‘Life’s Been Good’, posted here as a 2012 rendition with The Eagles.
I have always liked Joe Walsh and particularly 'Life's been good'

It's a little known fact that he hired me to play the guitar solo for him. Ok. I made that up.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-04-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have always liked Joe Walsh and particularly 'Life's been good'

It's a little known fact that he hired me to play the guitar solo for him. Ok. I made that up.
Yeah you wish mate, and I sing lead on all the Rolling stones records
Great song though.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 04:47 PM

Must check out Bowies Low period Trilogy heavily influenced by Eno and his work, Heroes is one of my favourite tracks.

Atom Heart Mother was a shock at the time, but a major stepping stone in Floyds development.

The Velvets remain as one of the most influential bands ever.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-04-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Must check out Bowies Low period Trilogy heavily influenced by Eno and his work, Heroes is one of my favourite tracks.

Atom Heart Mother was a shock at the time, but a major stepping stone in Floyds development.

The Velvets remain as one of the most influential bands ever.
Hi Nom.
It's a great period in Bowie's past work, but I know it divided fans of the earlier glam rock works who couldn't get past his Young Americans phase which they largely dismissed. Low is still to come, as is the album which came in between that disco era and the Berlin trilogy 'Station To Station'.

I of course wasn't around at the time, but I regard Atom Heart Mother as being a gradual stepping stone from the more progressive leanings of A Saucerful Of Secrets and the wistful soundtrack work to the really important and special stuff that was to come on meddle, in particular 'Echoes'.

And I'm with you entirely with The Velvets bud

Page 193 of 274 « First < 93 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 203 243 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top