Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 02:03 PM

deadcat wind jammer

The top one is fromGutmann for my sennheiser MKE400 microphone costing £26.50 including p/p 3 day delivery from Germany and had strong elastic band to hold in position

The one below is byRecote for same camcorder costing £24 inc. p/p but with no means of fixing to microphone

Had a quick tryout against a desk fan with the top one and it killed wind noise dead. previously Tried same with bottom one and still got reduced wind noise

So if anyone is thinking about gettting a deadcat windjammer I would strongly look at Gutmann products first
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 06:11 PM

Re: deadcat wind jammer

Very impressive Bazza

Errrm what is it
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 07:09 PM

Seeing how you asked so nicely meg I will try and explain what it is for.

Wind blowing across a microphone produces a deep constant rumbling sound as in my video below

it ruins a good video.

So what one can do it not to record any sound in the first place and record music over it, but then you only see the video. You can hide a microphone under a coat, but it will pick up every coat movement. Both not ideal obviously.

So one can try putting some dense foam over the microphone which will reduce the wind noise to a certain extent but still not ideal

Next is to use what is called a Deadcat as seen in my photo. The object is to let the sound reach the microphone but the hairs in the deadcat stop the wind doing the same.
One can make ones own or purchase a ready made one. I first bought the bottom one which kinda reduced this deep rumbling sound but the hairs are a bit short really.
So i purchased a more professional one (top) with longer hairs which really does almost stop any wind crossing the face of the microphone.

on youtube there are several items with other videos showing the same thing

This is a typical example of wind across a mike and stopping the noise

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2016, 07:11 PM

I see thank you Bazza
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

04-06-2016, 07:24 PM

Meg it is all clever stuff and no mirrors in sight. Got the top one midday today and what happens? no outside wind to test it on, sods law kicking in again

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top