Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:00 AM

Re: Coffee and Tea Capsules

Originally Posted by Realist ->
That's just the sound of the pump moving water from the tank. I'm guessing you have a Senseo machine. Here's the plain admission on their own website FAQs about not being a proper shot of coffee:

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MY SENSEO® COFFEE AND AN ESPRESSO?

SENSEO® coffee doesn't brew an espresso coffee. Espresso is a strong coffee brewed by quickly forcing hot water or steam through darkly roasted, finely ground, coffee beans. SENSEO® coffee grounds are not as finely ground. The mode of filtration is also different which is why the taste of Douwe Egberts SENSEO® coffee is closer to filtered coffee.

Note how they don't even acknowledge the pressure used by proper espresso makers.
Fair enough. If the water is not forced through the coffee pads, why isn't it just dripped through? Why the need for a pump?

Also, if there is no pressure, how do they achieve the 'crema' (foam) surface on the finished coffee?

Regardless of any of this, we like the coffee we get from the machine. As I said, we discovered the system when we stayed in an apartment whilst on holiday in the Black Forest and found the taste excellent, which is why we bought one when we got home.

It's all down to personal taste, I suppose. I've had espresso many times and this Senseo tastes at least as nice and is much quicker to produce.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Think I'll stick with my bean to cup coffee machine - expensive at the time but now four years old and still going strong.
My husband works in vending so knows a bit a bout coffee machines, that's the type he favours says they are a much better taste. But they were simply too expensive for us. If we drank a lot of coffee if may have been an option. They do seem to last a lot longer than the pod machines granted.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:21 AM

But what about disposal of these capsules? Landfill awaits whether or not you or the supplier/manufacturer get rid?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:28 AM

My husbands job relies on them dobra I'm unlikely to be against them it keeps us afloat.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:47 AM

All this talk of coffee and machines has made me think of getting a percolator! Mum used to have one on the go constantly, back in the old days! I have a cafetiere, but don't use it all that often, preferring instant. I do sometimes buy a Morrisons latte, or one in McDonalds. Both enjoyable but not overly expensive.

For my instant I mix decaff with ordinary, and now have a jar of Mellow Birds.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Fair enough. If the water is not forced through the coffee pads, why isn't it just dripped through? Why the need for a pump?

Also, if there is no pressure, how do they achieve the 'crema' (foam) surface on the finished coffee?
Read the article JBR.

In short they use a tiny nozzle opening of about 1mm to 1.5mm and the pump pushes the coffee through it at about 1 bar pressure which makes the coffee foam. Just the same as it would make milk foam if you whizzed it up.

It is NOT crema in any sense of the word. In fact I am surprised they are permitted to use that term at all by advertising standards.

All the true coffee deep rich flavours are still trapped in the coffee grounds and not being used. They are in the form of oils and you HAVE to use a pressure of at least 9 bars to extract those oils from the grounds.

What you have there is something a bit like processing an egg and only getting the albumen out and leaving the yolk, the best bit, behind.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
But what about disposal of these capsules? Landfill awaits whether or not you or the supplier/manufacturer get rid?
Yep that's a real issue Dobra. A real coffee machine or a domestic "bean to cup" machine like Judd has, doesn't have any waste components other than the bag the coffee beans came in. Pod machines are extremely wasteful. When you think about it, why would you need/want to wrap each spoonful of coffee up in a protective aluminium casing? Nature already provides the coffee in a perfectly good form, the bean, which we can roast. When we are ready we can grind it and use it. It's only our laziness and bowing down to ultra convenience that provides a market for pod machines.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:48 PM

I have a Russell Hobbs ceramic percolator which was given to me well over 30 years ago, and it wasn't new then. You can make one cup or 8 cups. I buy coffee beans of my choice, sometimes I get sent beans from friends in Kenya, I grind them myself as and when needed. If I'm in a real hurry, the Nescafe jar comes out. If we are in a Spanish establishment I will have coffee occasionally, they make excellent coffee, unfortunately most of the British establishments do not. I did once ask if I could have some coffee in the hot water and was told the coffee was a measured amount so I asked for another measure, I got it but was charged 6 pence for the extra measure! That was at the Grouse and Claret hotel in Rowsley, Derbyshire.
Not recently I hasten to add.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:56 PM

Bloody hell! It's ONLY coffee! Get a life!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It is NOT crema in any sense of the word. In fact I am surprised they are permitted to use that term at all by advertising standards.
It looks like crema, it tastes like crema, so it is crema!

I'll bow out of this argument now. I enjoy the coffee, my wife enjoys the coffee, so the coffee is good whatever you like to call it!

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top