Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 01:04 PM

chimney swept

Just had the chimney swept and thank goodness we did. Seems the previous owner burnt wet wood and caused a buildup of soot in the chimney itself. The sweep said it was so bad a couple of sparks and the whole place would have gone up. He removed huge clumps of soot that almost blocked the chimney completely.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Re: chimney swept

Why do people do it?. Burning wet wood is just daft. I have heard similar stories including a guy who spent a lot of money an a log burner /lining etc(and that is not cheap I know) and then burned the wet logs from his tree felling business. When it all sooted up he tried to blame the chap who installed it. Wally.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 02:59 PM

We get our logs from our coal merchant and they're pretty well seasoned when we get them. However, we try to buy 2 or 3 tons a year in advance and store them to make sure they're properly dry. Also we avoid resinous wood.

We find we only need the chimney swept every two years, so the stove seems to be burning very cleanly.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 03:50 PM

I have my chimneys swept every year when the chimney sweep calls to do all the village chimneys. In winter, I clean the pipes that connect my wood burning stoves to the chimneys every two months to make sure they're free of soot.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 04:48 PM

We won;t be using or fire as we have 10 radiators and 2 heated towel rail to keep us warm. No messy grate cleaning or getting coal/wood in and trying to light it.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 05:21 PM

You're such an old romantic... sitting round a warm radiator
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 05:23 PM

I have a lovely coal effect gas fire and radiators, snug as a bug in a rug and no mess
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 05:49 PM

We have a coal effect electric fire, just have the coals lit to look nice and keep warm with our 6 radiators, mostly doubles and ladder type thing in bathroom, since it's only a tiny bungalow, we're warm as toast....

You can't beat the look of a log burner though.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We won;t be using or fire as we have 10 radiators and 2 heated towel rail to keep us warm. No messy grate cleaning or getting coal/wood in and trying to light it.
So why then did you need the chimney sweeping...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 06:42 PM

So Santa can get in?.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top