Join for free
Page 21 of 27 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 01:04 AM

Re: Britain could leave the Bloc and do things better!

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
I didn’t ever have any close friends who were Brexiters, thank goodness, that would be very difficult. Those I have distanced myself from we’re just acquaintances with no emotional tie, so no loss either way.
I think it’s those like you who are able to maintain friendships with people who voted differently who are shallow, becauseyou don’t feel strongly or deeply enough about your principles to risk losing a friendship or being unpopular.
As for my close friends and family, you don’t know them and all you know of them is that they voted Remain. Yet you think that justifies labelling them childish and shallow? Based on what evidence? Typical Brexiter arrogance and lack of logic.
Your predictable drivel (insert yawn icon...)

I value friendship more than a vote. I don't give a monkeys about being unpopular, or being liked. You should be able to tell that from my posts on here, as I'm one of those who says what they think rather than saying that which makes you popular.

Considering your general attitude, I'd say the fact that they are your friends is evidence enough....
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's funny because I think it's shallow to lose friends because of politics! People in my life are more important than political whimsy. The facts speak for themselves and the truth will out. But I didn't make friends with the people in my life because of their politics. I like them for who they are inside.
But if what they are inside is the type of person who can support Brexit ideology, how can you possibly like them? Politics isn’t just whimsy, it’s about your core values and principles as a person. How can you like and respect someone who doesn’t share your core values and principles? It’s shallow to be prepared to overlook such basis differences to maintain a “friendship”
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Your predictable drivel (insert yawn icon...)
An interesting point. I haven't seen a yawn icon either, unless I wasn't looking hard enough.

Yes, a yawn icon could prove very useful for certain threads or (dare I say it) for certain people!

In such situations, may I suggest a roll-eyes icon?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
An interesting point. I haven't seen a yawn icon either, unless I wasn't looking hard enough.

Yes, a yawn icon could prove very useful for certain threads or (dare I say it) for certain people!

In such situations, may I suggest a roll-eyes icon?
Maybe a yawn & snoozy one combined JB.
Just insert into any Twizz post - job done.......
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 04:40 AM

Hi

In response to Twizzle.

Fender is no Xenophobe, he has a foreign wife.

I am no Xenophobe, my pretendies are Polish.

You are insulting our Intelligence.

Neither of us are idiots or little Englanders.
Logan
Spain
Logan is male 

19-03-2018, 07:34 AM

Nobody knows what the economic effects of Brexit will be long term.

There is a reliable old adage consistently accurate.

"If you want to know the future look at the past"

History indicates Britain desperately required the EU in order to prosper. It is an undeniable fact that it has since joining, a truth ignored by most Brexiteers.

So the logic from history is once outside the EU the nation will struggle. Especially if it leaves without decent trade terms with the bloc; and loses passporting rights for financial services the corner stone of the UK economy.

Partisan rhetoric that Britain will do better alone flies in the face of all reality. If people were honest they would accept it will not. That is the price Brexiteer politicos in their hearts are willing to pay but not willing to tell you. Yet people follow them not realising the monster they are supporting.

Farage, Johnson and Co have done very well out of it and will be gone living on their fat pensions when the flies come home to feed the corpse

A little like the people of Russia. Delusion is an easy thing to create.

Replacing the single market with free trade deals from a few states around the world will not cut it.

Britain will almost certainly decline and maybe that's no bad thing. I have a lot of nostalgia for the nineteen sixties but very glad I am a European.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
But if what they are inside is the type of person who can support Brexit ideology, how can you possibly like them? Politics isn’t just whimsy, it’s about your core values and principles as a person. How can you like and respect someone who doesn’t share your core values and principles? It’s shallow to be prepared to overlook such basis differences to maintain a “friendship”
There isn't a 'Brexit ideology' . There were 17 million Brexit voters and probably a thousand different reasons for choosing to do so.

Your ability to negatively stereotype and dehumanise a constituency of people who acted differently to you is the truly scary part of YOUR ideology.

You sound like a petulant child who has been refused sweets in a supermarket , not realising there are better options right in front of you.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Logan ->
Nobody knows what the economic effects of Brexit will be long term.

There is a reliable old adage consistently accurate.

"If you want to know the future look at the past"

History indicates Britain desperately required the EU in order to prosper. It is an undeniable fact that it has since joining, a truth ignored by most Brexiteers.

So the logic from history is once outside the EU the nation will struggle. Especially if it leaves without decent trade terms with the bloc; and loses passporting rights for financial services the corner stone of the UK economy.

Partisan rhetoric that Britain will do better alone flies in the face of all reality. If people were honest they would accept it will not. That is the price Brexiteer politicos in their hearts are willing to pay but not willing to tell you. Yet people follow them not realising the monster they are supporting.

Farage, Johnson and Co have done very well out of it and will be gone living on their fat pensions when the flies come home to feed the corpse

A little like the people of Russia. Delusion is an easy thing to create.

Replacing the single market with free trade deals from a few states around the world will not cut it.

Britain will almost certainly decline and maybe that's no bad thing. I have a lot of nostalgia for the nineteen sixties but very glad I am a European.
I disagree.

Britain joined the EEC not the EU so you are wrong there.

The EU is a completely different organisation.

A few states, as you put it, amounts to over 250.

The Britain that joined the EEC was a different economic model dominated by nationalised industries and trade unions.

The UK that's leaving is a much fitter, leaner and more dynamic economic entity.

An adage you need to consider as you look in to your crystal ball of doom is......

There Is Nothing To Fear.......Except Fear Itself
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 07:55 AM

Twizzle it's easy to get the impression from you that you would prefer to see Britain fail rather than BREXIT succeed?

This feeling of extreme negativity you feel towards BREXIT isn't healthy. To admit you would drop friends if they voted to leave? Listen to yourself...you need to take a break from this BREXIT debate for a while for the sake of your own mental health.
Logan
Spain
Logan is male 

19-03-2018, 08:18 AM

I don't think you would expect any organisation not to evolve with time. The EU is dynamic and changes with the membership of other nations, something the UK actively supported.

Britain supported the Maastricht Treat and the Lisbon Treaty.

Most economic studies I have read indicate free trade deals with ALL the potential nations around the world will fail to compensate for the loss of the single market.

Of course if a decent trade deal with passporting rights for The City is achieved that may go some way to compensate. However all the indications so far are negative. "Canada, plus, plus" is more likely just Canada.
The UK that's leaving is a much fitter, leaner and more dynamic economic entity.

Yes I agree and the reason for that was single market access and it's position within the EU that made it an attractive target for foreign investment. Britain competed successfully with member states whilst retaining it's industrial and labour market flexibility.

To continue that competitive edge outside in the world it will have to reduce many things. In particular employment rights, corporation tax and regulation.

Fear doesn't come into this debate. Fear is just the triumph of emotion over common sense. I would argue that Brexit is manifestly an abandonment of that.

Page 21 of 27 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top