Join for free
Page 41 of 43 « First < 31 39 40 41 42 43 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Re: And Still They Try To Thwart Democracy!!

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I don't really get where all this angst has come from.
Even as early as the 70's pre-council house boom sell off, you only had to look around to see people were in subsidised housing who ought not to be. It's not a new thing.
At my local comp all the council house kids came to school in leather jackets, bragged about their frequent Spanish holidays. That was then. The more affluent council house tenants got a foot on the housing ownership ladder and profited greatly by the sell-off.
I bought a terraced for 12,000 in 1981.
A woman where I worked bought her council 3 bedroom semi for 14,000.
Terraced in my area now fetch £75-100,000.
The 3 bedroom semi fetches anything from £150- 200k
I think jealousy is the wrong word ... injustice and exploiting the sell-off for self-enterprise is more accurate.

Since 1980 1.5 million houses have been sold under the right to Buy.
Why do you think they were initially sold off? Maintenance.
Subsidised rents and maintenance make for a poor profit and longterm bad business plan..
The current government is left with a right headache .. of a shortage of stock, with little movement of tenants and increasing waiting lists. The bedroom tax hasn't really encouraged movement amongst housesitting tenants.

Current discount rates are 35% after 3 to 5 years ..up to a limit of 70% (based on 1% increase per annum of tenancy). A veritable capitalist killing for a tenant with a bit of disposable income.
On wonders at the fiscal sense of such generosity. Unless,
I imagine they'll be relieved when the last house has been sold off. A solution of sorts.

The remaining housing stock, such as it is, should be means tested. It's impractical now, not to mention unfair, to think of them as homes for life. There are too many people hogging them for nothing more than cheap living when they can afford and so should be paying full rent comparable with the private sector.
No idea where the ethnic cleansing comes in to it though.
Selling off the houses started our current problems IMO I'd point out that yours is an opinion too by the way as I don't recognise some of it at all local to me. The ethnic cleansing if you read earlier posts was about being told to move to Shropshire because housing is cheaper. If everyone struggling to afford housing in Surrey Hampshire London etc suddenly moved to Shropshire if would be sad day as one county would drown under weight of us all an the others would be left just for rich people. There's been outcries over that in London people don't want of like it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Selling off the houses started our current problems IMO I'd point out that yours is an opinion too by the way as I don't recognise some of it at all local to me. The ethnic cleansing if you read earlier posts was about being told to move to Shropshire because housing is cheaper. If everyone struggling to afford housing in Surrey Hampshire London etc suddenly moved to Shropshire if would be sad day as one county would drown under weight of us all an the others would be left just for rich people. There's been outcries over that in London people don't want of like it.
Hi

Not just Shropshire, loads of areas with cheaper housing and the same National Minimum Wage.

If you choose to live in an expensive area, so be it, just don't expect others to pay for your lifestyle.

If people did move out, wages would go up, simple supply and demand.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 03:24 PM

Yes, it's only my own opinion. I didn't realise there was anything wrong with that.
I still don't get where ethnic cleansing comes into it?
I'm near Stoke-on-Trent and I do know they were approached some time back to take some of the poorer tenants from London. I think 160 families were mentioned.
Never happened.. and as far as the local community was concerned it was a good thing. in short .. no one wanted them here. We have our own problems.

My point was .. and only was .. is that there are a some people in subsidised housing who shouldn't be. They're not hard-up or down on their luck.

For instance, only yesterday the government abandoned their 'Pay to Stay' scheme , which would have seen a rent increase for 70,000 tenants earning over a limit of £31,000.

£31,000 is not living frugally.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 05:31 PM

I live in Shropshire. The thing that annoys me about all of this is that I grew up in council housing. Mum, Dad and seven children. It was a beautiful new council house on a lovely housing estate with lovely families living in them. We lived there for over 25 years but, when all of us kids left home the first thing my parents did was go to the council and ask for a smaller property as they felt it was unfair to live in a council property so large, with so many bedrooms, a huge front garden and even larger back garden. So, like most of their generation, they played fair. They realised that there simply was no need for them to stay there when a large family would love the opportunity to live there. My parents were bluddy saints really, the house was immaculate as were the gardens and pristine hedges all around. The family that moved in were very fortunate indeed.

My parents moved into a two bedroom council maisonotte and were happy enough but the family that moved into the house lived there for a few years and then bought it!! It is worth quite a lot now as most of them on the estate have been bought. I think this is so wrong. Council houses should never have been sold off. No-one should assume they have a right to live in council housing forever either. They should be treated on the same lines as private rentals.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
British ambassador to the United States.
I for one think he would be good, Donald already seems taken with him.
Whats not to like ?
Oh yes The Establishment, who think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Laugh.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I for one think he would be good, Donald already seems taken with him.
Whats not to like ?
Oh yes The Establishment, who think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Laugh.
I completely agree.

If he's a mate of Donald Trump, that's surely to our advantage.

As far as The Establishment is concerned, they can go and **** themselves.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 09:20 PM

Well listening to the radio yesterday my hopes of seeing us out of the eu evaporated. If we have to run everything by 27 other countries to approve I can see this running into 15 years or more.
No we don't have to do that. There are other options according to www.eutruth.co.uk:

1. The British Parliament can simply repeal the six EU treaties. That gets us out immediately without involvement by the EU.

2. We could declare the six treaties null and void under the British Constitution. Teresa May could do that on her own.
Pro-EU MPs' are unlikely to it, so Britain's courts could do it.

3. The Queen could declare all six treaties null and void but is probably unlikely to
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I completely agree.

If he's a mate of Donald Trump, that's surely to our advantage.

As far as The Establishment is concerned, they can go and **** themselves.
Yes I agree the establishment can go and **** themselves .
Will they though ?
Not a cats chance in hell, they think they are so superior .
In fact I have to quote Hillary, much as it pains me
I am beginning to think they think "We are a basket of deporables" not to be taken any notice of.
Still Hillary found to her cost , that wasn"t so.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 09:34 PM

Up the revolution I say.......

...As one of the great unwashed of course..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Yes I agree the establishment can go and **** themselves .
Will they though ?
Not a cats chance in hell, they think they are so superior .
In fact I have to quote Hillary, much as it pains me
I am beginning to think they think "We are a basket of deporables" not to be taken any notice of.
Still Hillary found to her cost , that wasn"t so.
Yup I agree, but I also believe they are going to whittle our numbers down greatly by various means. I still predict the UK will get its turn for (cough cough) natural disasters. Earthquake, tornados, floods, loss of utilities for a period and all the usual shenanigans.

Page 41 of 43 « First < 31 39 40 41 42 43 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top