Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Cbt is it just a sticking plaster ?

We've been going to a therapist for family therapy for a while, gracie has bad dreams about her mum so we thought if we could get her some help that may stop and both my husband and I were keen to make sure we are doing our best for her too so we sought family therapy.

It's been interesting, grace is feeling happier I think, and we've benefitted too, you just don't realise things are not quite right until you talk about them.

Anyway the therapist is a lovely man very easy to talk to I was thinking we might be referred for cbt for graces dreaming but he is adamant cbt is a sticking plaster over many issues something NHS is using far too readily without seeking the real reasons behind mental health problems.

So although I benefitted a few years ago when I had panic attacks it's made me wonder as NHS round here really only refers people to services for cbt and pretty much doesn't do any other therapy any more. Is it as he said a sticking plaster and we are storing up a whole lot of hurt later on ? Scary thought if it is.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 02:50 PM

Re: Cbt is it just a sticking plaster ?

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy...NHS Choices

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cogniti...roduction.aspx

A friend had a course of therapy and it cured her of her flight phobia.

I believe it concentrates on your present state of mind, tackles negative thinking, it doesn't delve into the past like Psychotherapy might do.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Re: Cbt is it just a sticking plaster ?

Yes I think that was the problem, he was saying we aren't dealing with the key problem but the behaviours that they cause. He thinks we are going to have a huge explosion of mental health problems eventually.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top