Join for free
Page 6 of 56 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Re: Flu jab 2018 booked

Even an ordinary infection I have to go into hospital if my temperature is above 38. It's happened 3 times now but not for a month or so. I think some of my supressed immune system is working better now that I'm further away from the chemotherapy I had.

I don't eat special foods but do try and get my 5 a day at least. Bananas, apples, black grapes, broccoli, carrots, that kind of thing. Now that I'm off statins I can eat grapefruit again but haven't got round to it. I'll remember to buy some on my next shop.

Grapefruit with just a touch of sugar is delicious.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:12 PM

Very glad to hear you are off statins.

Grapefruits are great. Sharp, tasty, full of good Vit C.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure why I was on the statins in the first place. I think at around age 42 my cholesterol was high on one blood test and my G.P. put me on them and they became a permanent fixture amongst my other medications.

But this year the Consultant at the hospital took me off them, some contraindication with the cancer drugs I was taking. So I was on statins for 10 years nearly.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
So I was on statins for 10 years nearly.
I could comment but I won't.

Overall, given this long time of products and treatments, how well do you think the medical industry has done, towards curing you?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

08-09-2018, 02:33 PM

That's hard to answer. I was in OK health up to 48 when I had a bout of acute pancreatitis (alcohol related). Then I got cancer at nearly 50, then again some 20 months later.

I would say my treatment has been good. The R-Chop chemotherapy is what they give for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and I'm not sure whether I'm better or not, only time will tell.

But I was surprised to have Hodgkin's Lymphoma then non Hodgkin's 20 months later. The first can be cured; the second can't.

I think I'm just unlucky, but am not sure whether the cancers are related - the doctors say they aren't as the second time round I had a tumour and it's a totally different cancer.

Both Steve Jobs and Steve McQueen sought herbal/alternative remedies for their cancers and it didn't work for them.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2018, 02:43 PM

It's hugely common for people who have chemo and associated drugs for one cancer to see that cancer appear to be cured or go into remission but then to magically find a different cancer appears a year or two later. Far too common in fact. I won't say more.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

08-09-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It's hugely common for people who have chemo and associated drugs for one cancer to see that cancer appear to be cured or go into remission but then to magically find a different cancer appears a year or two later. Far too common in fact. I won't say more.
I don't doubt you and don't mind if you elaborate a bit more.

It always has felt a bit suspicious to me how I could get 2 different types of cancer within a 20 month span.

In a way I was iller with the first cancer as I developed Delirium and was off my head for about 6 weeks but the chemo I had had no bad effects on me. And I didn't develop any nasty infections - this time I have had about 4, each requiring intravenous antibiotics.

The chemo was hell to go through too, so much so that I think I might decline it if I was offered it again.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:41 PM

Flu is no small thing . Some years ago the husband of my sister's best friend a fit and healthy man in his fifties died after contracting flu which caused inflammation around the heart (myocarditis).

The British Heart Foundation recommend those with heart conditions have the vaccination and they state...
''There is evidence that heart attacks happen more often during or immediately after an acute inflammatory illness, such as flu.''
https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...onal-influenza

From the BMJ...

Research News
The risk of myocardial infarction is six times higher within the first seven days of a laboratory confirmed influenza diagnosis, according to research published in the New England Journal of Medicine.1 The risk is highest for older adults, patients with influenza B infections, and patients having their first heart attack.

The Canadian researchers said that their findings reinforce the importance of vaccination and that patients should not delay evaluation for heart symptoms, particularly in the first week of an acute respiratory infection. The study comes as the UK continues to see a rise in flu hospitalisations and GP consultations.
https://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.k329

I sometimes get a sore arm at the site of the vaccination and find massaging the area immediately after the vaccination and applying an ice pack when I can helps to prevent a reaction.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:54 AM

Reports state that 40 million people died of the Spanish flu 100 years or so ago. Flu has always been a killer.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 11:06 AM

I had my flu jab on Friday when I saw the DN to have my knee staples removed. She asked if I wanted it done there and then, so it saved me another visit. No side effects whatsoever.

Page 6 of 56 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top